Question about traditions build kits

Kvon2

Question for the group.

How necessary is it to blue or provide some other treatment to the barrel? I like the raw look but if it will leave it extremely vulnerable to corrosion then I would reconsider.

polish it (draw file style) to a bright finish and then apply RIG gun grease. Remember military guns of the 18th Century were burnished bright. Gotta keep those soldiers out of trouble by keeping them busy.

What they said. It will rust if you don't stay on top of it. On the other hand you can let it patina to a nice brown.

Define and meet your expectaions.

I like the raw look
If so, then there might be other shortcuts you are likely to take. You have not listed what kit you have and yes, it might make a difference. I'm guessing it's a rifle. The biggest problem with kits, is that folks become to impatient with the material and themselves. I guess you have to define your expectations and do your best to meet them. ...... :)

Recently did some negotiations on a .45 TC-Seneca. Fella told me that it was a kit gun that he had put together. When he pulled it out of the case, I was heart broken, as it was a real mess. Didn't even take time to sand the stock, just slapped some varnish on it, even on the metal. I was still interested in buying it and completing the piece, only because I love these little guys. That is until he told me what he wanted for it and even proclaimed that it was a Seneca !!! I declined, thanked him and soon after, just shook my
head ...... :confused: :rolleyes:

If it's a rifle, I would at least, plum-brown the barrel .......:)

Be Safe !!!

Last edited:
Browning the metal is probably your best way to have an easier finish to maintain. Blue offers very little rust resistance and leaving brite finishes does really take some upkeep.

I'm considering something like a Kentucky pistol kit.

It seems that a Browning solution would be the easiest but I guess what I mean by the "raw" look is more like a stainless steel look. I understand this can be difficult because it is not stainless steel, anyt thoughts?

I have browned several barrels with just plain old birchwoodwood/casey plum brown and its not hard to do at all. And the finish looked as good as those on the Pedersoli guns I have looked at. Once you get it browning you have to work to stop it. And when it is browned to your liking then you can rub johnson's paste wax on it and it never seems to rust. The browning leaves a slight roughness the wax really clings to.

I have seen a few left in the white and didn't think they looked too good. Maybe a military style gun is OK but a Hawken looks better with a finish on the barrel.

I've come across a few different products that are targeted more towards modern guns but I think will do the trick.

I know the look isn't what many think of when they think of a Kentucky pistol but I want to give the barrel a stainless look and the stock a dark grey stain. I think it'll look pretty good.

So you want to take a 280+ year old design and make it look modern?

hardly. You don't think in 280 years someone has ever stained a stock grey or something similar? I would never take a historic piece, sand it down and mess with the originality. An unfinished $200 kit? That's asking for personalization.

You should make your gun just the way you want it. Old time trade guns were some times painted red or blue. You merely picked the wrong group to ask how to make it look like stainless and plastic.

"...military guns of the 18th Century were..." Some, not all. The 'Brown' in Brown Bess is about the finish.
"...I want to give the barrel a stainless look..." That'd be chrome(I'd do matt chrome. No idea of what it'd cost where you are. Yellow Pages for a metal finishing shop.) and grey wood stain. And "I want one/it." is a reason and the only reason you need.
This isn't matt chrome on a firearm, but it'll give you an idea of the look.
https://socketstore.co.uk/products/sockets-and-switches/chrome/satin-chrome

My idea might not be as extreme as some think.

Here's an example of stock/barrel combo it'll be inspired by. Maybe a tad darker on the stock.

That is a totally modern gun not a 280+ year old design. There's no correlation between the two.

That is a totally modern gun not a 280+ year old design. There's no correlation between the two

Hawg, unfortunately I don't think we're going to see eye to eye on this one. My goal is not to recreate a perfect replica. I'm sorry if this upsets you.

Back