Question about the value of a Mosin Nagant 91/30

Kimio

I know the MN91/30 is not exactly a rare rifle, probably one of the most prolific rifles out there next to the esteemed AK47, but I was wondering how common it is to have one that has matching serial numbers both barrel and bolt as well as a near pristine bore?

The engraving on the barrel says 1939 which I assume is the manufacture date of the rifle, it's pretty worn as far as the muzzle wear is concerned, though I don't think it's been through a lot of combat if any at all (It has the usual dings and dents in the stock and such)

There is some very, ever so slight amount of rust on the bolt face and tip of the firing pin, but that's it.

So how common is this, can someone help me out here? Stampings does say Russia.

Here's a picture of the year and markings that I can find on the receiver.

DSC05040.jpg

Thanks for the response, perhaps I'll look for one of the rarer ones some day, this was my first rifle, so if anything it has some value to me at least :)

It appears to have a laminated stock, which is worth a small premium, albeit only $20-40 on today's market.

FWIW the bisected square marking below the date indicates that the rifle has been arsenal-refurbished after WWII. This is commonplace for recently-imported M-Ns, and explains the overall nice condition of the rifle.

Matching barrels and bolts don't seem to be too unusual. Lined-out and force-matched mag floorplates and stock buttplates are relatively more common, probably because these items were more vulnerable to damage in the field and were therefore more commonly replaced during the refurbishing process.

Re: the matching bolt, keep in mind that this is NOT an indication that the entire bolt is original or that the rifle is safe to fire. The Soviets only numbered the bolt body, but this part has no effect on headspace; only the bolt head does, and there's no way to tell that the bolt head matches.

Back