Question about the Mossberg 500 20 ga youth shotgun

tpcollins

I'm looking to buy this used shotgun for my grandson. I don't know all of the specifics yet but it looks to have the gold trigger pump with 2 barrels. The deer barrel has iron sights and I would assume it is not rifled but rather a smooth bore thats either choked or has a screw in choke. I'm not sure what the other barrel is other than probably an upland bird barrel.

Price tag is $250 - good deal or not? Thanks.

The deer barrel will not have any choke nor choke threads. $250 isn't a bad price if it is in good shape. Those barrels normally go for around $75 or so on Gunbroker if you decide you want to sell off one of the barrels to help ease the cost. The longer barrel will likely be the 26" vented rib barrel with a screw-in choke.

I got a response from the seller. He said the deer barrel is rifled and the bird barrel has a screw in mod choke. I'm waiting for him to verify it has the 12 1/2" LOP to verify it's a youth model.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to get it.

$250 is a great price for a 500 with an extra barrel. The only problem I have had with mine is the plastic safety button broke. I replaced it with a metal on the I made and it hasn't ever failed me.

Under my normal use the safety button would never have broken but one of the courses I took required the use of the safety. All the repeated use was more than the plastic could handle.

Just saw a 20 youth in Walmart about 20 minutes ago......Price was about $189 or so, so with the second barrel, that price is reasonable if the gun is in good shape.

I bought a mossberg 500 20 gauge Super Bantam 2 years ago for $210 used and it was mint. Works great although I never used the slug barrel. The super bantam stock has 2 recoil pads and a spacer so you can grow into it. 12 inch length of pull grows to 14 I think.

As for youth model stock Gun parts co sells rear stocks for $15-25 that would fit. Otherwise find a new deal and maybe go with a maverick.

Well I went and bought this morning for $225. The bird barrel has a vent rib, mod screw in choke, a front bead and a brass post at about a foot or so behind the front one.

The rifled deer barrel has been Magna-Ported. :-) I just ordered an extra full choke for turkey hunting. This is a really nice package for my grandson.

Last edited:
Porting is not a big deal -for most it is a negative as it makes things a LOT louder......for those turkeys, just sticking in a particular choke without seeing how it does can be a frustrating waste of money. ALWAYS pattern/test your gun with your intended ammo at the range to see how it does.......

"...front bead and a brass post at about a foot or so..." That's a skeet/trap barrel. Not a bad thing.
Magna-Porting works well, but really isn't needed. Mind you, felt recoil is a subjective thing. More about the kid than anything else. Said kid's size is irrelevant too. Anyway, you can start him with target ammo and reload slugs, if that's an option.

$225 is a great price for that combo. You did well with a shotgun that will serve your grandson well. If the plastic safety is a concern aftermarket metal ones are available for not alot of money.

Back