Question about shotgun loads for SD

Status
Not open for further replies.

1Hobie

I know this subject has been beat to a pulp, but I have a question about the physics of a shotgun load.

I've learned that bird shot won't penetrate enough in most situations to mortally wound an assailant. I've wondered though if getting hit in the chest at in-home distance with one ounce of lead, even though it's pellets, moving at 1100-1200fps wouldn't at least knock the crap out of the bad guy and give you a chance of a follow up shot if necessary.

I might be off on this but using an on-line calculator it seems that a one ounce load moving at 1100fps would generate about 1173 ft.lbs of energy at the muzzle. Even if you 1/2'd that, it would be quite a punch.

Just curious and if I'm way off base, be gentle 'cuz I'm fragile.:D

Happy Memorial Day to everyone. God bless those who gave all. Hand Salute!

Hobie

Attachments

• flag resised.JPG
    flag resised.JPG
    21.4 KB · Views: 41
Actually, I was talking about a one ounce mass of pellets moving along in a short space, basically a wad of lead starting to spread out, but moving along with the 1 ounce still contained to a "ball" of lead. Not a deer slug.

Hobie

if you know an expert re loader, a buck and ball load gives you the best of both worlds.

A friend of mine experimented with a load of no 3 buck with a steel ball bearing nested on top of the shot. An appropriately, sized lead ball could be substituted for the ball bearing. Test showed the loading to be effective with a good spread of buck and fair accuracy with the round ball.

This loading was used in the Civil war by several Militia units who were issued smooth bore muskets due to a shortage of rifles. The range was limited, but was devastating at close range. These units were often held in reserve and used to reinforce units which were about to be overwhelmed the massed infantry attacks.

Okay, let's get back to my original question: Will the 1173 foot pounds of 1 ounce of lead(at the muzzle), even though the pellets are starting to disperse at 15 feet, knock the dog poop out of the perp?
At that range, if you can't put a wad of lead on the target, 00 buck isn't going to help that much either. Not enough distance to disperse.

Hobie

All right, now have what I was looking for! Please explain how 473 pellets hitting at the same time, slightly dispersed, wouldn't have the same mass as a solid?
I'm not arguing, just learning.:)

Hobie

A thought.

If I shot a solid 1 ounce load at something, it would penetrate how ever far. But, if I took that 1 ounce and spread it over a 3 inch area, would it not still have the same mass but affect a larger area with less penetration?

Hobie

1Hobie said:
...Please explain how 473 pellets hitting at the same time, slightly dispersed, wouldn't have the same mass as a solid?...
Because penetration will be a function of sectional density. Sectional density is the ratio of a projectile's mass to its cross sectional area. It is a factor in determining how efficiently it can overcome resistance, and therefore how well it can penetrate. The greater the sectional density, the greater the projectile's ability to penetrate.

In measuring sectional density, we would look at each projectile individually. And a pellet of, for example, #6 shot, has a very low sectional density of about 211 grains/sq. in. with a diameter of 0.11 inch for a cross sectional area of 0.0095 square inch and a mass of about 2 grains. In contrast, a 230 grain, .45 caliber bullet has a sectional density of about 1,447 grains/sq. in.

1Hobie said:
...If I shot a solid 1 ounce load at something, it would penetrate how ever far. But, if I took that 1 ounce and spread it over a 3 inch area, would it not still have the same mass but affect a larger area with less penetration?...
Well yes, but what you want is penetration, not necessarily affecting a large area. Or, looking at it another way, trading penetration for area is counter productive. Bullets don't work in the same way as blunt force trauma.

There are four ways in which shooting someone stops him:

1. psychological -- "I'm shot, it hurts, I don't want to get shot any more."
  2. massive blood loss depriving the muscles and brain of oxygen and thus significantly impairing their ability to function
  3. breaking major skeletal support structures
  4. damaging the central nervous system.

Depending on someone just giving up because he's been shot is iffy. Probably most fights are stopped that way, but some aren't; and there are no guarantees.

Breaking major skeletal structures can quickly impair mobility. But if the assailant has a gun, he can still shoot. And it will take a reasonably powerful round to reliably penetrate and break a large bone, like the pelvis.

Hits to the central nervous system are sure and quick, but the CNS presents a small and uncertain target. And sometimes significant penetration will be needed to reach it.

The most common and sure physiological way in which shooting someone stops him is blood loss -- depriving the brain and muscles of oxygen and nutrients, thus impairing the ability of the brain and muscles to function. Blood loss is facilitated by (1) large holes causing tissue damage; (2) getting the holes in the right places to damage major blood vessels or blood bearing organs; and (3) adequate penetration to get those holes into the blood vessels and organs which are fairly deep in the body. The problem is that blood loss takes time. People have continued to fight effectively when gravely, even mortally, wounded. So things that can speed up blood loss, more holes, bigger holes, better placed holes, etc., help.

So as a rule of thumb --

• More holes are better than fewer holes.
  • Larger holes are better than smaller holes.
  • Holes in the right places are better than holes in the wrong places.
  • Holes that are deep enough are better than holes that aren't.
  • There are no magic bullets.

The bottom line is that a lower power cartridge with a smaller caliber bullet will make smaller holes and may not be able to as reliably penetrate to where those holes need to be to be most effective.

I would guess the soft tissue below the ribs would be vaulnerable. I'm not sure if you hunt, but its the same reason you shoot turkeys in the head.

My bedside SG is a 12 ga 870 loaded with 7 slugs and six more on the side saddle. My reasoning is this, I am good with the SG, I have seen people shot with about everything, and if I am down to the SG ( having used the pistols) I want artillery.

My Choice #1 (.30 cal) Buck

This has been hashed out before, but here is my spin on it. First I believe the standard full throttle load of 00 buck (9 .33 pellets @ 1325 FPS) to be plenty of medicine at home defense ranges.

However, I being a perfectionist and a gun nerd, good enough is not the same as better or best.

My choice for close range HD loadings in a 12 gauge shot gun is Winchester #1 buck.

#1 Buck at .30 diameter is about as small as you can go and still get reliably deep penetration to ensure that vital, blood bearing organs are reached.

The cumulative pay load of a 16 pellet #1 buck load is 648 grains vs. 484.2 grains of 9 pellets 00.

The combined muzzle energy of #1 buck (16/ 40.5 gr. pellets at 1250fps) is 2260 ft lbs. VS 1898 ft lbs for 00 buck (9/ 54 gr. pellets at 1325 fps).

The cumulative surface area (Potential wound channel) for #1 buck (16/ .30 pellets) is 1.133 sq inches vs. .771 sq inches for 00 buck.

Recoil between the two different loadings is comparable.

My choice is #1 buck because it will create more deep wounds and produce a larger overall wound channel, increasing the potential incapacitation ability of this loading over the standard 00 loading.

Will the 1173 foot pounds of 1 ounce of lead(at the muzzle), even though the pellets are starting to disperse at 15 feet, knock the dog poop out of the perp?

If you shoot anyone (not wearing body armor) center-mass with a 12ga load of #8 or larger shot at 15 feet I highly doubt they'd walk away or do any fighting back. And whoever's left after all the statements are taken will have a mell of a hess to clean up.

That said, I don't load my home defense shotgun with anything smaller than #4 buck.

I love this forum! I really appreciate you folks taking the time to allow me to learn things I'd never would of thought of otherwise. :)

I'm going to the range this afternoon and shoot my 870 to get more comfortable with it. I'm going to go buy some different brands of buck to practice with. I put a Limbsaver butt pad on it to reduce the recoil(hopefully since the gun bruised me the last time I shot it with full magnum loads)and hope that allows me to shoot more rounds.

Thanks again!

Hobie

I've seen #4 birdshot penetrate the ribcage of a smallish deer at 15 yards+/- some of it under the opposite side skin and a few totally. I've also seen a load of #6 blow through the skull of a cow at close range. At across the room distance any shotload over 20 guage will devastate the target unless it's wearing a flakvest.
I don't know if any of the worthy advisors have actually used a shotgun up close but I have a few times.

#4 buckshot for me

shot it today to check out the moss 500, 19 inch long barrel.

27 pellets, almost 1/4" diameter.

At 7 yds, pretty well covered the torso.

I have the death funnel covered even if awakened, scared slitshess and in the dark.

I never been attacked by a block of jello. I will stick to 00 buck and slugs. I live in the country with my wife and 4 legged kids, 2 legged kid is married and not at home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back