Question about SBR's

beardenbc

So I was wondering,
When you fill out the ATF form 1 paperwork for an SBR that you're making from an AR lower, it includes all the details about the rifle including caliber and barrel.

Does this mean you can't switch out the uppers?
Like say I had a 10.5" .458 socom upper and a 14.5" 5.56 upper. Putting either one on there keeps the rifle an SBR, but the specs have changed and may differ from paperwork.

Does switching them out cause some kind of a legal headache?

Yes they require this information, you can change the configuration on a temporary basis. They ask that you notify them in writing if the change is permanent.

Just keep an upper that will put the gun to the length/caliber stated on the form 1.

As long as you can readily return the gun to it's configuration stated on the form there is no need for more paperwork.

I have seen examples of Form 4s where the person put <16" for barrel length, and they were approved. I saw others where they wanted a specific length on the Form.

I guess it depends on which examiner you happen to get, and whether they're having a good day. I'd put down a specific length to be safe.

I've seen the same with caliber changes as well. People put down .223 but will shoot .22 or 9mm for example out of a .223 registered SBR...as long as it isn't perm. you are good. Even if you want to make it a permanent change, you can do that without having to pay another 200 bucks.

Sage Advice

I had a similar question....so I called the NFA branch and asked.

Their answer was that I needed to send them, in writing, a letter of intent to use different caliber and length uppers on my registered SBR.

Once they provide an acknowledgement of receipt of this letter of intent, youre good to go.

I had to call them several weeks after I sent it in and ask for their acknowledgement.

ALWAYS remember, when in doubt, call the ATF. They are not the boogey man that some make them out to be and my experiences with them have all been positive.

Don

Back