Question about reloading 45 ACP

Recondo

I am new to reloading. I have purchased a Lee single stage press kit. It has all of the things needed to start reloading. I also have the Lyman Manual as well as a Speer manual. I purchased the carbide dies for 45 ACP. After a lot of reading and researching before I get started I purchased the 230 FMJ bullets, Federal 150 Large Pistol Primers and Accurate #5 powder. I read some postings on this forum and Accurate #5 had a lot of high marks for the 45 ACP. My question is, why my manuals don't show Accurate #5 as a powder in any of the recipes for loads. Many other powders are shown with the grains of powder specified. How do I determine what powder load to start with? And also, any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

All manuals that are printed have limits on how much content they are going to provide.

To have the best chance of using a specific component check with that manufacturer. The manual put together by bullet makers will have their bullets and a selection of powders chosen for different reasons, some of which could be as simple as "that's the data we put in the last manual".
Powder makers will have their powder and a selection of bullets, which hopefully you have.

The 2023 Hodgdon Annual manual shows a 230 gr Nosler FMJ with No. 5 powder, starting load 7.8 grn, max 8.7 grn at a length of 1.250", yielding velocity range of 816 to 927 FPS with the Fed 150 primer from a 5" barrel.
It looks like Hodgdon has a No. 5 load for about 70percent of the bullets for the .45ACP but not every one. But they make a lot of different powders.

Just be sure to start at the lowest recommended load and work up at about 0.2 grains at a time until you get a load/recoil/accuracy you like. Do not exceed the book maximum if you are just starting out and lack the experience of longer reloaders.

Again, start at the minimum; guns have been known to blow up starting near the top of the range listed in some loading books.

Your bullet purchase was excellent for a starting load. After all, the US government issued and used that bullet for the entire duration of WW2.

Edit: Be aware that recently manufactures of ammo have also started using small pistol primers. Depending on where you source your brass you could have some small primer pockets in the mix. Don't try to force a large into a small; just save the small primer pockets until you get small primers.

Last edited:
We've all been where you are now. Having loaded something over 80,000 rounds of .45ACP. I'd advise you to avoid cast bullets; they're cheaper, but just not worth the trouble and the mess. Plated or FMJ bullets are the way to go. Don't worry about mixing brands of brass as long as they all use large primers. You won't know the difference until you become an expert and start shooting really tight groups. If you have Lee dies (nothing wrong with that!) did they come with a taper-crimp die? If not, get one. If so, set it to just straighten the case mouth. The .45 doesn't need actual crimp. I like Everglades plated and FMJ bullets - good prices and free shipping. When you run out of #5, consider Hodgdon Clays. Have fun.

I agree with all said above, including Japle's suggestion about Clays. I started with Hodgdon Clays at 4.0 gr with 230gr Round Nose and I've never needed to try anything else. As you grow into this hobby, you'll eventually find it to be a disadvantage to search for the "ideal" combination. My habit has been, I find a great load for my .45 ACP, and I did - as I said above. But that hasn't stopped me from buying " Bullseye" powder to see if it's any better. Now I have 45 different powders for the 17 calibers that I load, and I'm satisfied with something for each of the 17, and, after 48 years, I'm asking myself, "What the hell have you been doing?" as I look in the drawers of bullets and powder I've purchased. But I'm more comfortable since my trip to the range yesterday when I met another hand loader who told me he loves the SST he's using for his .270 WSM but he has a drawer full of various bullets that he purchased just to see if there's anything better. So I'm not nuts all by myself. Just another note of caution to you as a "newbie."

One thing I would suggest for the future, get the DATA first, THEN buy the powder for it.

And, I'm going to disagree with avoiding cast bullets. I see nothing wrong with them, and the "hassle and the mess" doesn't bother me as I load nothing but cast bullets for some other calibers.

For setting your crimp, I'd recommend using a factory round and adjusting the die to get a firm contact with the factory case, then, turning the die down just a tiny bit more as a good starting point. Might be all you'll ever need, but if not, you can adjust from there...

I'll agree with 44 AMP!!
Research FIRST, then buy!
Although with the recent shortages, i understand about getting what's available.

I'll also agree with 44 AMP on the cast bullets.
Most of my 45ACP shooting is with lead semi wadcutters. (Missouri)
I even use them as carry ammo.
Although i prefer to shoot 185gr from my 45ACPs.

I purchased the bullets from Georgia Arms. A manufacturer that I found in north Georgia. They make many different calibers. I hope to learn the best sources over time. I also ordered some of my items from Midway USA.

Thanks for all of the comments! I will be referring back to you guys for more expertise! I look forward to beginning this as a new hobby. I will start with 45 ACP, as it is my favorite. After I become more understanding of the process, I will venture into other loads. I hope to reload my 308 rifle cartridge at some point.

I purchased the bullets from Georgia Arms. A manufacturer that I found in north Georgia. They make many different calibers. I hope to learn the best sources over time. I also ordered some of my items from Midway USA.
check out RMR bullets as well. They make some high quality bullets and have good prices. you can currently get 1000, 230g fmj, for $175 $ S&H. https://www.rmrbullets.com/shop/bullets/pistol/45-452/45-230-gr-full-metal-jacket-round-nose-bullets-new/

I’ve loaded 45ACP with AA#5 for years. Good powder for 230FMJ’s. Consult all data available but my opinion that loads from 7.9 to 8.2 grains is a very good level. Wouldn’t go higher. Suggested overall length of 1.250” works well in different pistols and carbine rifle. Taper crimp in separate steps is best for me. Seat in one step then taper crimp on another step. Just enough crimp to remove the flare left from the expanding.

Remember John Moses Browning developed his 45 for 200gr bullets. If you are shooting for target loads, a lot of us use 185gr hollow points (Hp makes nice clean holes in paper targets).
For example, I am currently shooting 3.1gr of VV N310 behind Berry's JHP
185 and have excellent results. When I had a lot of Winchester 231, the load was about 4.3gr. The VV is evidently burning faster or is a more potent
powder, I have no idea.

Remember John Moses Browning developed his 45 for 200gr bullets.

That was his original load idea. When the military said no, we want the 230gr, he "redeveloped" his round for that, and the rest, as they say, is history.

The 45 ACP is a great round to start with. It's just easy to handle.

Also, nothing wrong with lead. Factory bullets should be okay.

Have fun and let us know how it goes!

--Wag--

One thing I would suggest for the future, get the DATA first, THEN buy the powder for it.

And, I'm going to disagree with avoiding cast bullets. I see nothing wrong with them, and the "hassle and the mess" doesn't bother me as I load nothing but cast bullets for some other calibers.

For setting your crimp, I'd recommend using a factory round and adjusting the die to get a firm contact with the factory case, then, turning the die down just a tiny bit more as a good starting point. Might be all you'll ever need, but if not, you can adjust from there...

^^^.....some good advice. I'd like to add a titch of my own.

First thing many new reloaders do, is they go out and buy powder/bullets in bulk because they get a good price, or they go on the recommendations of somebody else. While buying bullets in packs of 100 or powder in 1# jugs is more expensive, buying 1000 bullets or a 8# jug of powder you don't use/like is not saving you any monies. Start with small quantities of components until you find what works for you, then go out and find the best price.

As for lead, I have no problems with it, but I do suggest that those new to reloading stick with jacketed bullets that have recipes readily available for them.
This is mainly because for most folks, jacketed bullets are the easiest and most forgiving, when it comes to flare and crimp. One does not have to match hardness to velocities or diameter to bore, etc. Thus one gets good accuracy at various velocities and no leading. Once one learns the basics, lead becomes easier. JMTCs.

For .45ACP and other pistol ammo using a taper crimp, I usually adjust my crimp by putting a cartridge wih a bullet properly seated in the press and run it up into the crimp die. I then turn the crimp die down as as hard as I can by hand and then tighten the lock ring. That is usually all it takes to take the flare out of the case. One still has to do the plunk test to make sure the cartridge fits, but most of the time the crimp is good.

Taking out the flare and crimping are different things. Can be done in one step when the die is adjusted to do that.

The final .45 ACP load accepted by the U.S military was the 230 gr. round nose full metal jacket bullet over a charge of 5.0 gr. Bullseye powder. Worked back and still works today. I still load 5.0 gr. Bullseye over a 230 gr. home cast round nose bullet for hardball practice. For fun, I run the 200 gr. H&G #68 over 5.0 gr. Unique. Seems like I've used those loads like forever. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Paul B.

Back