Question about older Lee die

robinny

I posted this on another website yesterday but no real response yet. Apologies to those who may have seen it already.

In a press I picked up yesterday was an older Lee 30-06 die. The seller said he got the press when he bought a bunch of tools from someone a year ago and he's "not into the whole gun thing," so he didn't know anything about the die. I've poked around online and can't seem to find anything about this particular model. I'm wondering if it's serviceable and whether it's a neck die or full-length. The markings on it say "LEE - 30/06 - D1." There's a pressure relief hole just above the threads, which you can make out in the first pic if you look closely. I think that hole would indicate it's a full-length die; do I have that right? Also, the de-capping rod is not threaded, but is adjusted by means of a collet. You can see in the pics that the previous user rounded the corners of the collet, possibly indicating either that the collet didn't hold very well and they had to really torque on it to get it to stay in place when sizing brass, or they were a numbskull and used the wrong size wrench.

The locking nut for adjusting the die in the press doesn't have a set screw, but instead just has a rubber O-ring in a recess at the bottom of the threads that provides some resistance to keep the nut from turning. It seems like it would be easy enough to drill a hole through a flat on the locking nut and tap it to insert a set screw if someone wanted to use the die and keep it in place better.

Thanks for any info anyone can provide.

Attachments

• Lee.jpg
    Lee.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 57
  • D1.jpg
    D1.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 52
  • Rod.jpg
    Rod.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 46
It is a sizing die, most likely full length. The Lee collet neck sizing die does not deprime. A neck sizing die would be expected to say "NECK" somewhere. Looks fine to use.
The pin is designed to slip rather than break. It works. Adjust it only to deprime successfully, no lower.
Lee lock rings with the O ring don't lock, but stay put within reason. You can replace them, with other brands rings, if it bothers you. But they do work.
The Lee Precision website is a useful resource, with instructions, pictures, etc., and you can email them questions or order parts.

Last edited:
robinny said:
The markings on it say "LEE - 30/06 - D1." There's a pressure relief hole just above the threads, which you can make out in the first pic if you look closely. I think that hole would indicate it's a full-length die; do I have that right?
I can't help you on this but if you call Lee on Monday, I have found them to be friendly and helpful.

Also, the de-capping rod is not threaded, but is adjusted by means of a collet. You can see in the pics that the previous user rounded the corners of the collet, possibly indicating either that the collet didn't hold very well and they had to really torque on it to get it to stay in place when sizing brass, or they were a numbskull and used the wrong size wrench.
That's standard for Lee. They do it that way so if the decapping pin hits an obstruction (like maybe you got a Berdan-primed case mixed in), the rod will slide back rather than bend or break. The previous owner probably tried to tighten it using a Crescent wrench.

The locking nut for adjusting the die in the press doesn't have a set screw, but instead just has a rubber O-ring in a recess at the bottom of the threads that provides some resistance to keep the nut from turning.
That was Lee's standard for many years, and it works. If you want lock nuts with a set screw, they are available. https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/dept/reloading/die-parts-and-acc-point-/die-lock-ring

It seems like it would be easy enough to drill a hole through a flat on the locking nut and tap it to insert a set screw if someone wanted to use the die and keep it in place better.
I believe the Lee lock nuts/rings are aluminum, and rather thin. And remember -- if you drill, you'll be going through the recess for the O-ring, so your set screw won't have as much material to bear on as it would if the nuts/rings were solid. I would not try to modify them, but you can always try if you wish. You could also buy spares from Lee and double-nut them to lock them in place. https://leeprecision.com/search.php?mode=search&page=1&keep_https=yes

You have a standard Lee sizing/decapping die. If you don't like the O-ring, Lee sells locking nuts cheaply (https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1021760132?pid=575065)

Frankly, the O-rings work fine and I don't generally use the locking rings. The ring on the die you bought, by the way, will be steel; the Lee locking rings they sell separate are aluminum.

The D1 is just a date code; was made in April of some year ending in 01; '81, '91, 2001, or 2011.

Thank you all for the replies. A call to Lee and/or a visit to their site certainly would make sense. (Now why didn't I think of that?) Double-nutting is also a great idea. Shouldn't be tough to find a 7/8 x 14 nut, or just get another locking nut from Lee.

I tried the die on a few empties this afternoon. I don't reload 30-06 yet, but I've got a few cases lying around because I do shoot that caliber a little bit. The expander seems to work much more smoothly than the RCBS dies I have for loading .243. I kinda like that.

Thanks again for your help.

Back