Question about my WWII revolver and Luger????

REALM

Last year when my grandfather died I became the proud owner of a couple of his guns. He was a captain in WWII under Patton.

The revolver is a S&W D.A. 45 -- Anyone know anything about this gun?

I have no intention of firing it, I got the 870 for defense, but if I ever just HAD to would it still be safe to fire? It seems to be in perfect shape.

I also have a Luger of which I have no idea what caliber it is, but where would I find a magazine for it? Working or non-working it doesn't matter, I'd just like one to complete the look. Thanks.

Any .45 S&W double action revolver is safe to fire with modern ammunition if it is in good mechanicai condition. Feel free to shoot this revolver as much as you like. Assuming that it is probably a ,45ACp it is an outstanding revolver for self defense. All you need is a few full-moon clipsa nd a box of m45ACP hollow points and you are all set.

Have it checked out and cleaned, but it was common in WW2 to issue armor troops a 45 revolver instead of a 45 auto.. and officers at that time could still use personal weapons that fired GI (45) ammo. This could be a commercial OR civilian gun (is it marked property us government?) A LOT of these guns (like a half a million) were produced by smith and wesson and colt during ww1 to suppliment the scarce and expensive to produce 45 automatic. Many were sold off by the military through the DCM in the 1930's but MANY remained in us arsenals and were sent as lend/lease weapons , and with further sales to Brazil and other countries post ww2)

My 1917 Colt Army (new service) is a WW1 vintage gun and STILL SHOOTS better than I do. Don't shoot anything higher pressure than Ball ammo and have a blast. (hydra shocks in 230 gr. are excellent standard pressure defense loads) Full moon and half moon clips are redily available through the shotgun news, and IMI makes a GREAT replica holster for it. (i have one)

That big smith was the "cover" gun on an early 80's version of the Shooter's bible.. great article on the gun and converting it to 45 lc).

Your luger I'd be more timid with.. make sure you know the caliber 9mm or 30 luger before you buy a clip (which you can get from tom forrest, gun parts or others) and I'd ask Harley Nolden about the serial #, range of MFG marks, etc on the gun before I decided to shoot it or not. Its value will be higher if there are capture papers, etc for the gun. The gun could be a valuable "collector" or a cheap shooter depending on a LOT of factors. its probably still shootable.. the question is SHOULD you shoot it? Might not be a bad idea to have it appraised.

Hope the info helps,

Dr.Rob

[This message has been edited by Dr.Rob (edited January 11, 2000).]

Back