Question about Mechtech CCU and Silencers

AmesJainchill

Say a person has a silencer designed for .45 ACP handguns and a 1911 threaded for a silencer.

If you take a Mech Tech CCU (http://www.mechtechsys.com/ ), and thread the barrel for a silencer, could you use the .45 ACP pistol suppressor on the CCU or would the change in pressures be dangerous or just make the silencer not as effective or would it be okay?

You'll be fine. I have an AAC Evo-45 on a 1911, and also built up a 16" bolt gun in .45 ACP to put it on. I swap the spring inside the can's recoil booster for a spacer, and it's good to go. You might want to check with your suppressor maunfacturer to CYA, but it shouldn't be a problem at all. And yes, the .45 bolt gun is scary quiet. :D

DanO

Yeah, you'll be ok. You may well even get a bit less gass pressure at the muzzle because all the powder has been used up in that long barrel.

It will probably work and not damage the suppressor, but it will become less effective if there is a supersonic crack, due to the increased velocities. For example, lightish bullets (165s-185s) can run up over 900, close to 1,000 fps out of a 5" bbl. I woudn't be surprised if the 16" bbl pushed them to over 1,100 fps, right around the speed of sound, which will make the suppressor less effective (actually the suppressor itself is not less effective; if anything it's probably more effective on a db *reduction* basis; it's just that the supersonic crack makes the TOTAL level of sound suppression less). But with 230s, they still ain't gettin over 1,100 unless you load them up hot in .45 super brass.

I know a .45 is a .45, but in my 16" 9mm carbine, I was only getting 50-100 fps over what I was getting out of my Beretta 92. After talking about it with some folks, I came to the conclusion that once all that fast burning pistol powder is gone (and that should happen within 10-12" of barrel) then the rifling of the longer barrel would begin to slow the projectile down. In a 16" the powder is completely burnt and and the extra rifling only allows for that 50-100 fps over normal.

I think that you're exactly right.........UNLESS you handload up with slower powders, such as may be used under rifle data for .357 mag & .44 mag, then it's probably not all burned by 10 or 12 inches.

Back