Question about Makarov safety.

VictorLouis

When engaged, does it block/lock the forward movement of the firing pin, as in the Walther PPK series? When decocking, is the pin shielded from a blow by the hammer? Thanks all.

When on safe, the Makarov firing pin is still free floating. The pin is shielded from the hammer by a block, which is part of the safety lever. Take a look at the hammer. You'll notice a notch in one side of it. When in the fire position, the block on the safety positions itself so that it will fit into this notch when the hammer flies forward, allowing the hammer to go forward enough to hit the firing pin. When on safe, the block moves up so that it is in front of the hammer face, not allowing it to go forward. Make sure the pistol is unloaded, and play with it so you can figure out what I'm talking about. Don't worry about the free floating firing pin. Even if dropped, it won't have enough intertia to detonate the primer.

Rob

Thanks Dawg. That is what I am concerned about. Actually, I do not have one yet. I am going to get one on Saturday. The Makarov.com site says that an inertial fire from a drop is possible in as little as 4 feet. Also, it cautions to beware of high seated primers which could present a slam-fire condition.

Wow, what a great mechanism. So simple, yet so functional.

Discharges as a result of a drop are rare. You'd have to drop the weapon directly on its muzzle from a high enough distance. And even if that does happen, the bullet will go into the ground. Slam fires are also a possibility when you have a dirty firing pin channel.

Does anyone know why the designers of this pistol didn't include a firing pin return spring?

Hi, guys, the Makarov site sort of throws out that info about 4 feet, and I doubt it very much given the light weight of the firing pin. It does not sound like they ever tried it, and it seems to me that the import standard requires dropping at least six feet directly on the muzzle without firing.

It is not something I would worry about unless you are in the habit of slamming your gun to the pavement every couple of minutes just for fun.

High seated primers could be a problem in almost any semi-automatic firearm. Proper techniques are necessary in any reloading.

Jim

I have to agree with Jim.

They probably didn't include a return spring for simplicity of design and production reasons. ARs and AKs (except for some Chinese versions) don't have firing pin return springs either and those rarely, if ever, slam fire.

One of the guys on makarov.com did a drop test of sorts on his Mak. He dropped it from different heights onto the floor and used a live primer in an empty casing I believe. He could hardly get the thing to drop on the muzzle, much less detonate the primer. With a soft enough primer and the muzzle weighted with a brick, I suppose you might get the primer to detonate. As far as firing pin springs go, there are a few guys out there who are trying to get one to work. You would have to enlarge the firing pin hole and leave a shelf towards the front for the spring to sit on. Even as cheap as the pistols are, I don't want to ruin my slide by experimenting.

Rob

Well, I 'bought' two Bulgies today. But, I didn't get to wring them out!:( Please see my post under general discussion: ATF Purchase Form, and Proper ID?

Sorry, I let my frustration get the better of me. Thanks, Jim, for your reasoned response, and the rest of you too. The slam-fire concern is moot, as I will likely never reload for it.

The info about the inertial fire may, in fact, be suspect. I remembered that this is a military small arm, so the designers likely took into account the arduous conditions in which it may be used. Weapons get dropped, or jarred loose from the holster routinely, I suppose.

Back