Question about Lithgow M1 rifles

Scorch

I had a customer bring in a Lithgow (Australian) M1 rifle. I have never seen one, and this rifle is in very nice condition, much nicer than the average US M1 I see regularly. Any info on this rifle would be appreciated.

The Lithgow (Australian) M1 rifle is most likely a Springfield IL made from refinished USGI parts on a cast receiver from Lithgow. The serial number is 7 million plus I'm betting. That is proof the rifle is NOT USGI thru and thru.
Receiver, Barrel and stock are commercial the refinished USGI parts may or may not be on spec. Some of theses Springfield IL rifles did not work very well.

I think the receivers were also sold separately, but yes, they were used on the Springfield, Inc., Garands made in the 2002-2008 time frame.
I have one of the Springfield rifles, and it's a great shooter. I think all of the small parts on my gun (beyond the receiver, barrel, and stock) are U.S.G.I. I have not heard that the latter may not be in spec? That is, any old G.I. parts might be suspect, but I have never heard anyone report that their commercial Springfield Garand containe out-of-spec G.I. parts.
My gun is from the first year of production.
I have heard, as is the case with Springfield M1As, that as supplies of U.S.G.I. parts dwindled, commercial parts were substituted.

With the understanding that this is not from personal experience, I will note that when the Lithgow M1's were imported, many were found to be out of spec in one way or another, and not especially well made. I have posted this only so that a buyer might be aware of possible problems with those rifles.

Any rifle made or sold by Springfield Armory, Inc., has a "home" and a warranty. Rifles imported by other companies might be orphans.

Jim

I agree that it is important to make the distinction between a "Lithgow Garand", and Springfield, Inc., Garands based on Lithgow receivers.
The former could be a parts gun, built up from who-knows-what parts, by who-knows-who, while the latter is a complete, factory-built gun covered by Springfield's excellent warranty.

Lithgow Enfield Mark III

I own a Lithgow Mark III*SMLE. I have owned it since I was about 13 or 14 yrs. old, around 52 yrs. ago. I used it as a deer rifle. It cost my Dad $16. I used it for about 8 or 9 years. I had the rifle resurrected one yr. ago & have been shooting paper targets with it. It is a very good, sound, and accurate gun.

I think you should do more research aboutee Enfields in general & those made in Australia in specific. There is a lot of available info on line. For one example, see http://www.uiweb.uidaho.edu/stratton/Enhistory.htm. There are also Enfield specific forums. There is a lot of data about what all the markings on your rifle mean.

While I am certainly no expert, I have studied this subject a good bit for but
one year. I have learned a lot, but still have a lot to learn. In many ways I am still a neophyte. Neverthelss, I never read anything anything close to negative about Lithgow Enfields. I have only read positive things. I certainly recommend that you look into it more thoroughly.

Contact me privately if you want more of my information on this subject.

M1 not Mark III

Oops. I now see that I misunderstood what rifle was the subject of this post. It's an M1, not a Mark III Lee Enfield made in Lithgow.

The Lithgow M1's were sold by Century International Arms about a decade ago. Century has a reputation for wildly erratic quality control. Fulton Armory did a safety inspection of a Lithgow M1 receiver and it was quite out of spec, so much so that the firing pin safety lug was non functional and the rifle would fire out of battery. They had the rifle and the safety inspection measurements posted on their website.

The Lithgow receivers were cast and the rear heel looked quite different from a GI M1; I saw one at a gun show around 2003 and it just looked sloppy compared to a Winchester or Springfield GI rifle.

Back