Question About Leupold Scopes.

Diablo

Inactive
Ok.I know this topic has been beat to death but....I need advice on buying a scope. Should I buy the Vari-X II 3-9X40 or the 4-12X40 with an Adjst/Objective? I will be shooting out to a max of 300 yards,target and hunting. Do I need the Adjst/Objective for this distance? The diff in price is around $100.00.

Thanks Glenn

Either is enough power to hit game vitals at 300 yards. I have a 2.5-8X (fixed obj.) which is fine for 400 yards.

If you are ever going to need close, quick shots, consider the 3-, as lower powers are obviously easier for these.

I bought a Vari-X II 3X9 in 1970, mas o menos. Still got it. Killed deer out to 450 yards. Shot coyotes to 150 yards or so, at night. Hit steel plates at around 500 yards.

Shot a 350-yard deer with the scope on 3X.

Next question?

Art

I think it depends on what you will be shooting and the caliber of your rifle. If your shooting a .223 and figure on 300 yard prairie dogs and such then I'd rather have the 4-12. A .308 and deer at that range I'd get along with a 3-9 fairly easily. That's not to say the 3-9 wouldn't work on 300 yard prairie dogs, I've shot oodles with a .270 topped by a 3-9x40 Leupold at ranges further than 300 yards. Mainly depends on your taste I guess.

:)

------------------
bullet placement is gun control

Reading both these scope threads, one thing hit me that I hadn't thought of: Weight.

I'm gettin' a bit older, and my pet seems heavier, now, than just a couple of years :) back. The more lens, the more magnification, the more weight.

Weight is not a consideration if you're only going to walk a mile or three. If you're gonna cover ten or twelve or more miles of rough country you might wish you had stayed with iron sights!

Just a thought, Art

The Paralax adjustment is a function of magnification on variable power scopes. Under 10x mag in general doesn't need it, over 10x does.

The 4-12x leupold with the mil dot reticle is a very nice scope. The range finding reticle is nice if you plan on making long shots routinely at unknown ranges. If you'd prefer you can carry a laser range finder then you don't need a special reticle.

In general the 3-9 will do anything you need, but if you are looking at a trophy deer somewhere between 250 and 350 yards it can make a big difference in your hold. Anything you can do for yourself beyond "hold over and pray" would be welcome at that point.

Doctari

Back