Question about Large-Capacity Rifles with FID Card in Mass.

peteyb

Inactive
I live in Massachusetts and have an FID card. I know that the law states that I can not be in posession of a rifle that excedes 10 rounds.

My question is, is it illegal to carry a rifle that CAN accept a magazine that holds over 10 rounds, even though the rifle that I'm carrying only contains a magazine that holds 8 or 10 rounds?

I have not been able to find a solid answer, but from my research it is illegal due to the fact that I could go out and buy a larger mag, even if I do not own one, right?

That being said, I have found that the best rifle for the money that holds no more than 10 rounds is the Hi-Point 995TS. Correct me if I'm wrong but this rifle would definitely fall under the category of a non-large capacity rifle, and is legal for me to purchase/carry in MA with an FID card, correct?

On a side note, anybody know of any good options for a cheap, reliable rifle that is classified as a non-large capacity rifle (preferably 9mm, looking for the cheapest ammo to shoot to use at a range), instead of the 995TS? Or do any of you know a place in MA, that carries this rifle where I can get it relatively cheap?

Thanks in advance.

MA has odd and strict laws, you might want to check out their website. It seems most of their laws regarding rifles has more to do with a combination of collapsible stock, flash hider, bayonet/launcher lug and the ABILITY to accept high cap mags. Also there is some gray area about rifles made before a specific date. Most used firearms are a no go unless made before a specific year. I do know some manufacturers make MA compliant firearms, i.e. S&W's M&P 15 and 15-22 that have a fixed stock, no flash hider and no bayonet lug. You may be able to buy something that isn't MA compliant, but keep in mind that if caught with it its YOU who will be held accountable and MA doesn't take it lightly.

I think that such a provision is unconstitutionally vague and unenforceable. No rifle in existence is capable of distinguishing between a detachable magazine holding the magic 10 rounds or fewer, and one magazine holding 11 or more - either the magazine fits in the rifle or it does not, and ANY detachable magazine can be reverse-engineered or modified to increase its capacity beyond whatever the statutorily-mandated limit might be.

You have to wonder why the law is worded this way - it'd have been a lot simpler for them to simply ban the high capacity magazines rather than the rifles which they might fit into.

Back