Question about High Standard Derringer "Stirrup plunger"

Chilichef

Inactive
This is the situation. I recently bought a used HS DM 101, 22 Magnum derringer. It appears to be in very nice condition, and it appears to operate fine; I've put a dozen or so rounds thru it,, it apparently locks, fires, and extracts.

However, I was looking at it the other day; and noticed that on the breech end of the barrel there is a small hole directly above the 2 bore holes. If you are familiar with the gun, there is a stirrup across the top of the breech end of the barrel; you pull up on the stirrup and the barrel assembly pivots; if you continue to pull up on the stirrup then the shells extract.

Googling the schematic of this gun from Numrich, there is what is described as a "Stirrup Plunger" and a "stirrup plunger spring" that goes in that hole. Both of them are missing from this gun. So, I ordered the parts from Numrich, less than $5 for both of them and will likely get them very soon.

My question is: What exactly does the 'stirrup plunger' (and spring) DO? the gun appears to function fine without them. And, any tips, tricks, hints, to installing them once I get them? Simply press fit? Thanks.

Back