Question about Glock magazine capacities...

Nightcrawler

I noticed that Glocks seem to have higher capacities (aside from the castrated magazines) per caliber than most of their competitors. This does not include after-market magazines.

9x19
Glock 17: 17

Browning Hi-Power: 13
Beretta 92: 15
Sig P226: 15

.40S&W
Glock 22: 15

Beretta 96: 11
Sig P226: 12

.357 Sig
Glock 35: 15

Sig P226: 12

.45ACP
Glock 21: 13

Springfield Hi-Cap: 12
HK USP-45: 12

So, why is this? I think it's because Glocks have fatter grips, and wider magazines, meaning the same number of rounds can be stacked to take up less vertical space. Am I right or wrong, lovers of tactical tupperware?

You are correct, also the polymer allows that the mag well doesn't have to be as thick so the grip size stays relatively small. The double stack mostly facilitates this.

RnG is correct, plus the fact that with integral grip panels you do not have to worry about conventional bolt on grips and adding their width to the overall width of the pistol. Thus adding to the space available to the mag well.

-JHP

This is all very true.

I own many Glocks and love them, I have large hands so that makes it a little easyer. The fact that they are all double stack magazines does make the grip of most Glocks a little thick for most peoples likeings.

You have to give a little to get a little, in return for having a thick grip you get a great capacity, just look at the little 27, the power that thing has amazes me.

Wouldnt trade it for the world!

Jason

Yes Glock has a 15rd mag that you can put 17rd in. They also have a 10rd mag that you can only put 9rds in!

Tom B, LOL! i just use the magazine loader that came with my glocks it helps to get the last 2-3 rounds in my Klintonized mags.

as mentioned above polymer guns can have wider mag wells without having wider grips. i don't feel glocks have especially wide grips (in the 9mm/.40/.357sig size) i actually find they fit my small hands quite well. the mags are wider so they can have wider staggering in them allowing them to hold more rounds. the lack of grip pannels and thinness polymer can be while still being very strong allows the grip to be as thin as it is.

My G17 has a 17-rd mag that actually, easily takes 17 rounds. Have a couple of +5's coming from THE Accessories, giving me 23 rounds total.

I have a Glock 17 magazines and they take 17 rounds just fine. I have +2 Extenders as well. (and a couple of 33's for laughs)

I tend only to load to 16 rounds however, why ?

I shoot this gun in IPSC production Division and I find the extra little push you have to give a fully loaded magazine slows me down so I load to 16 into subsequent magazines. (17+1 into the first)

Back