Question about exporting for a tourist

guidito_ito

Inactive
Hi guys, I'm from Argentina and will be visiting the US for 4th time next January. I'm a gun enthusiast (and gunsmith :) ) and since there are great prices in the US I'd like to take back with me a S&W 44RemMag revolver or a CZ .223 bolt action rifle (depending on the prices!). Mostly for target practice or hunting back home.
I'd like to know if any of you know if it's possible for me to buy the firearm and take it with me on the plane.
So far I've read that I may be able to do that by getting a hunting license (done online, pretty easily) but I'm still not so sure... I googled a bit but couldn't find anything conclusive. Most of the ppl asking where trying to get a gun and carrying it during their stay (weird...) I just want to buy it for 'exporting'.
I tried asking a gun shop and they told me I should wire them the money, get a export license, etc but they would ship it directly and the cost was too much that way, I'm trying to see if there's a cheaper way.
I have a friend in Miami willing to help me with any paperwork and also with the purchase, he's argentinian like I but been living in the US for a while.
I will appreciate your input!

You will need to locate a dealer with a federal firearms license (FFL) to export. There are several categories of FFL and each pays different fees for each category. Not many have much international busness so there are not very many. Here is a list from GunBroker :

http://www.gunbroker.com/ffl/DealerInternational.aspx

I believe that you should be able to arrange both purchase and export from the US through any of these dealers. Be sure that you have the paperwork and procedure arranged for import into Argentina beforehand - I expect that you understand that part better than anybody here would.

Depending on the import laws in Argentina you might be able to carry this on the plane with you (in checked luggage, of course!) after getting all the US paperwork straightened out. I have once met a Japanese gun owner who was able to arrange having a rifle exported from the US which he carried in checked luggage from the US to Japan.

Edited to add :

I just looked through that list and at the bottom is a firearms exporter located in Miami :

Johnson Firearms, Inc
4719 NW 72nd Avenue
Miami, FL 33139 Phone: (917) 776-1971
Fax: (877) 323-3744

Email: sales@johnsonfirearms.com
Web: www.johnsonfirearms.com
Transfer fees and details: www.johnsonfirearms.com/export

Last edited:
I tried asking a gun shop and they told me I should wire them the money, get a export license, etc but they would ship it directly and the cost was too much that way, I'm trying to see if there's a cheaper way.
There's a great deal of overhead for anyone who wants to export, and it takes a while for approval.

As far as taking it yourself, I'm not aware of a legal way of doing so without going through the same process.

thanks for the responses. I re sent an email to the dealer and they're looking into it.
like you said the 'export' way is expensive and will probably not help with costs. just so that you know a cz 223 here costs like 2k (vs 600$) so I'm sure there is a way.
This friend of mine bought a couple of guns without a formal 'export' but he's a resident so idk...

Back