Question about Cougar

azar

Inactive
One day I was going to buy reloaded ammo in a Shooting field, the salesman told that the cougar 8000 doesn´t work very well with this kind of ammo. The explanation: he told me that the rotating barrel mecanism is very delicate to the dust produced for the reloads, making the gun to get jammed and even get damaged. Also he told me that this gun is more delicate to the dirt (dust, sand, etc...) than any other gun, is this true? Because of the dirt can the rotating mecanism get jammed and even broken? What experiences do you have? thank you!

Azar,

I have had the 8045 for the past year and have not experienced 1 failure to feed or any other type of jam.
During this time I have used reloads and some low quality (cheap) factory ammo - never had a problem. As for dirt or powder buildup, Winchester has some very dirty ammo and has repeatedly fouled or jammed my Para Ord P10 and my friend's Kimber. The Beretta can shoot this all day long without a hitch. Have not detected any damage either.

2 Cents,
Miles

Cougar

Have to agree with Miles.I also have an 8045.Although I haven't fired any factory ammo in it,I've fired about 1000 handloads of different types and have had zero problems too.

I like the thing!Very reliable,just as accurate as my treasured Colt Series 70 Combat Commander.

Put me in the consensus opinion--my 8045 Cougar never fails to feed. I have only shot a handful of reloads and they fed without incident, but I've shot 500 rounds of factory ammo and it's been flawless.

I purchased the weapon new and am still waiting for the first incidence of failure.

I'm not the type who only shoots expensive ammo, either. Out of the 500 rounds of factory ammo through the Cougar, fewer than 100 have been anything other than UMC hardball, Winchester USA hardball, or CCI Blazers. It's not like I'm firing the best grade of stuff here; I'm shooting the dirty ammo.

And it works.

And it's accurate.

And it has substantially less recoil than any of my .40cal automatics or my 1911.

Buy the gun if you've got the money.

I never had a problem with my 8040 and I feed it whatever is on sale. I also live in a very dusty area.

Geez...This is another gun shop idiot flapping their gums about something they know nothing about.

I have put 1000 rounds through a dirty 8040 in one afternoon. The gun was filthy but functioned flawlessly.

The rotating barrel system on the Cougar is quite strong and I certainly wouldn't expect it to break from dirty ammo.

Im another Cougar owner - 8040F, Mini, and no problems with any ammo. Everything from new ammo from Cor Bon, Speer, Pro Load and GA Arms to reloads from GA Arms, Atlanta Arms, Alabama Arms and no name gun show specials. I have cleaned between range trips and at other times gone 1,200 round without a cleaning. All with no problems.

-- Chuck

Back