Question about competitive shooting.

carolinaflats

Hi all,
I'm interested in getting into some kind of competitve pistol shooting like IDPA etc. Seems like a neat way to become a better shooter and a lot more interesting than shooting at the range. I'm looking for any recommendations to help me get aquainted with the sport. At the time, I have a HK USP .40 and a Sig p225 but will be getting a 1911 soon if possible. What do you guys recommend I look in to. I'm located in Charleston, SC. Thanks!

Welcome to competetive shooting!
Check out uspsa.org and idpa.com for more info and to find matches near you.
If you can, try both idpa and uspsa. You might find one or the other (or both) more to your liking.
Either of your existing guns will work just fine until you decide you want something different. If you are considering the purchase of another gun to use for competetion, hold off until you shoot a match or two and talk to other shooters. You will then know better what will suit your needs and preferences. Many shooters will allow you to try out their guns.

Good luck and good shooting!

Carolina,

A very good friend of mine is in Charleston and JUST getting started in IDPA. Send me a PM and if you're interested, I'll put you in touch with him and his son.

I have only 3 pieces of advice.

1. Go to a match as an observer, and check out the equipment used and how the matches are run.

2. Go to a match to play and use what you have or borrow the equipment, to see if you like it.

3. Then make sure you have deep pockets, because you will like some or all of it.

BHP9

Go to www.uspsa.org they will have a list of clubs, they may have one near you. USPSA has several different divisions one can compete in using just about any type eqipment thats out there. You won't have all the equipment rule BS that seems to be plaging some of the other gun games.
Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com

Last edited:
Back