Question about changing uppers on an AR...

Orion_VTOL

I was wondering if you change JUST the upper housing, but kept the same bolt and carrier, as well as the barrel and barrel nut, would it still have to be head spaced?

Thanks!

if the gun has not had a ton of usage the bolt should swap to a new upper safely.

if it closes on a round & locks up it should be safe.

A Field gauge is a 20 dollar investment though...

i have heard tales of how the military puts all the bolts into a big pile when the president is on base.

i have also heard of guys accidentally shooting .308 in .30-06 rifles and reforming the brass!

If you have in spec parts from a quality manufcturer, they should swap without issue

where is the wear on an ar 15?
the chamber is not going to get significantly longer from a few thousand rounds

The lugs will wear to match a rifle barrels extension. To cut down on wear a bolt and extension should prolly be kept as a set.

YMMV

dZ

Orion_VTOL...

I personally think it is always a wise thing to be on the safe side. Believe me - you don't want a problem that could have been avoided by a few dollars or a little patience.

Call around and see if there is a smith locally that has the gauges to check things for you.

Peace of mind is a very nice thing...

Buy some headspace gauges

and drop them in to give yourself peace of mind.

Personally, while it's quite all right to share bolt carriers, I wouldn't recommend the same for rifles; even if that bolt passes headspace inspection. It's just a pet peeve for me.

Back