question about buying a handgun ftf...

Billmanweh

Is there a problem with purchasing a handgun from a private seller if the *seller* is a resident of another state? That is, the buyer and seller are both in the buyer's home state, but the seller is not a resident of that state?

A little confusing, but someone asked me earlier and I had to admit I wasn't sure about the federal law on that.

For a FTF they must be a resident of the same state. They can meet up at a FFL in that state and have the FFL to the transfer.

Is there a law for the private transfer of handguns in an inter-state situation?

While private sales are legal, I've never heard any thing discussed on private sales involving residents from two different states.

Is there a law for the private transfer of handguns in an inter-state situation?

No.
The interstate transfer of ANY gun must go through an FFL.

For long guns the FFL can be either state as long as all the laws of BOTH states are followed.

For handguns the FFL MUST be in the buyers state.

Some FFLs do not want to accept shipments from out of state non-FFLs, so you may need to involve two FFLs.
That is NOT a federal law, but the policy of the FFLs.

No.
The interstate transfer of ANY gun must go through an FFL.

For long guns the FFL can be either state as long as all the laws of BOTH states are followed.

For handguns the FFL MUST be in the buyers state.

Some FFLs do not want to accept shipments from out of state non-FFLs, so you may need to involve two FFLs.
That is NOT a federal law, but the policy of the FFLs.

That's why I hang out here. I usually learn something every day.

Back