Question about an old Winchester

G.O. West

This Winchester 1894 followed me home today. Serial # 466XXX. It's a bit beat up but still quite shootable. Manufactured in 1907. I was intrigued by the short magazine. Is this style a rarity? The magazine cap looks like it has a flip out lever built into it. What is that for and how does it work?

Ul7DmiJ.jpg

I had a Winchester 1892 in 25-20 that had that "flip-out lever", albeit mine had a full-length magazine. Try flipping the lever out, unscrew the magazine tube and try to turn the front of the receiver to 90 degrees. It may be a take-down model as mine was.

It's not a takedown. It has no extension on the receiver. Here are some close-up photos of the magazine cap. The little piece that looks like a lever does not seem to want to move although I have not really tried to force it too hard.

bR6NdQ7.jpg

YMyGDRK.jpg

That notch in the top of the tube looks like it was a full length carbine mag at one time. The notch would be where the screw went through the front barrel band.

Carbine barrel, rifle rear sight, half of the magazine missing. Hmmmmm. Looks like it was a ranch rifle that got repaired by backwoods gunsmiths. When I was in NV we used to get a lot of ranch rifles in that had somewhat odd features, like nails for band screws, home made sights, home carved wood, etc.

Back