Question about a Rear Sight

KEYBEAR

I need to replace the Rear Sight on my sons Ruger No. 1 Rifle . It is Dovetailed and I do not have a pusher so will tap it out and back in with a brass punch .

the question is a friend said the sight needs to be removed to the right as that is the way it went in . I really do not think it makes any difference .

What do you think ??

Most sights come out from left to right (from the rear of the gun) and install right to left

The dovetails are tapered so they are tight when set to the correct position

Rule of thumb on most firearms is the sights go on and off the right side. Drift it off to the right. Install on back on the right side.

Traditionally, sights and pins go in from the right side of the gun. Back when dovetails were cut by hand and the sights fit by hand, dovetails were tapered so that they were slightly wider on the right side. Dovetails are cut by machinery nowadays, and are essentially straight. Tradition still says to put sights in from the right.

Traditionally, sights and pins go in from the right side of the gun. Back when dovetails were cut by hand and the sights fit by hand, dovetails were tapered so that they were slightly wider on the right side. Dovetails are cut by machinery nowadays, and are essentially straight. Tradition still says to put sights in from the right.

The machinery cuts them tapered. Not at all hard to do with CNC tooling. If you get some measuring tools out and check, they are still tapered and it's easy to measure. Check for yourself. I put these in all the time and yes, they go in and out from the right side as you look down the gun in the shooting position.

Back