Question about a dealer

Honestly, I got the C&R to get the discount at Midway and Brownell's, but was thinking about picking up a Swedish Mauser and a SMLE.
Saw some at Salter's site and was just wondering if anyone had had any dealings with him.

I purchased an item from Salter about 3 years ago that, while pretty nice, was somewhat misrepresented. It wasn't bad enough for me to return the item, but, for the price I paid, it should have been a little better.

There is a guy not too far from me (Davey Joe) that has some nice, scarce SMLEs (including an SSA and South African issue Ishapore) for a lot less money on Gunbroker. I have bought from him in the past with my C&R and have always been satisfied. Try doing an "advanced search" on Gunbroker, selecting "seller," then "Davey Joe."

Joe Salter's is a class act. The most honest on-line deal I have ever dealt with. His guns are always what they are claimed to be, normally better than described.

This is a second generation family owned business. They normally carry more toward the collector grade stuff. I have purchased some fine early Colt revolvers from Joe.

Last edited:
Thanks, appreciate the positive comments as well.

Also, thanks for the link to Allans Armory.
Hadn't been there before, and he has some interesting stuff.

For the Swedish Mausers I strongly recommend Simpson Ltd. I've bought a M96 and M38 from them and the price was good, the rifles exactly as described...they actually look better in person than they do online. Also bought a K31(they have a ton of them) and an FN Mauser...same story. I would buy from them anytime.

poptopv8 ....He said send gun back for a refund, but, go through an FFL dealer again? and wait who knows how long for a refund? forget it. I think a refund of $100 or $75 would have been accepted but he said no. Think twice before buying.
Uh......you don't have to "go through an FFL dealer" to ship a gun.
You can ship rifles and shotguns yourself directly to Joe Salter via USPS.

He offered you a refund, yet you refuse his offer?:rolleyes:

Back