Question about .40 SW vs 357 SIG

kerry

I just read a fantastic article on Sig at http://www.remtek.com/arms/sig/model/229/229.htm and it left me confused on something. It explains that Sig had to go machined stainless in the P229 because the added energy of the .40SW cracked the previously used sheet metal slides. Then how do they get away with the .357 SIG in the P226? I keep hearing about the explosive power of this cartridge. Is it really milder on the gun than the .40 SW?

The 40 came before that .357 SIG, so that means that the .357 SIG has stainless slides as well. I've heard that if you look stictly at the #'s in gelatin, the .357 creates higher #'s in the ballistics tests.

I still like the lighter 40's though.
Ben

------------------
AOL IM: BenK911
ICQ # 53788523
"Gun Control Is Being Able To Hit Your Target"

If the P226 is stainless as well, then why don't they offer it in .40 SW like the P229? I'm going by what they have published on the www.sigarms.com website. Am I right that Sig does not offer a full size .40 SW?

kerry,

SIG Sauer does, if fact, offer P226 in .40 S&W -- that's their full size answer to a demand of this great caliber.

Emin

Emin,
Well, that makes more sense. Thanks for the info. Anybody know how long this pistol has been out? My brother has a Sig 40 and he "thinks" it's full size. It's in a box some where in his attic and he doesn't remember the model #. I know he bought it quite some time ago, and my guess is that it is a P229. Have the P226 .40 SW been out that long?

kerry,

P229 is not a full size pistol, but 226 is. I really don't know for how long they've manufactured 226 in .40; your best bet, I think, would be to call Sigarms and ask. Their phone is 603-772-2302.

The 229 is my absolutely favorite SIG Sauer. Then of course, I haven't even seen P210...

Have you had a chance to fire your brother's 229? If you have, what do you think?

Emin,
No I haven'd had a chance to fire it. I haven't even seen it. That's why I'm wondering what it is. He "thinks" it's a full size, but he bought it many years ago when the .40 S&W was just getting in all the magazines. I do remember that it's a DAO. I don't trust that he knows exactly what it is. After all, he keeps it in a box in his attic! Like I said, my guess would be that it's a P229. I've just entered the police academy and he wanted to sell the Sig to me as a primary duty weapon.
I'm really more interested in a nice 1911 45 ACP, and I would like to use it in competitions on the weekends.

The SIG P226 became available for the .40 S&W and .357 SIG rounds roughly around mid-1998. I got my P226 (.40) in the summer of that year.

Kerry;
As to your original question, the problem with cracked slides is due to recoil not chamber pressures. The SIG factory loads may be loaded to slightly higher pressures than the 40, but some of the European 9mm loads for which the gun was designed are hotter than either in regards to chamber pressures. Since the .357 SIG is based on the 40 S&W case and fires lighter bullets, recoil is less. Any gun that will handle the 40 will handle the SIG.

Dan Johnson

I picked up a 226 40sw in may of 99 it was only $570 brand new. It keeps my 229 357sig company. The 229 I got for $400 used and have put about 2000 rounds though it with out a single problem.

Back