Question 1911 magazines

JJ45

I had Alchemy do some custom work a while back on a Colt 1991A1.45 and prior to commencing the job the smith asked me what mags I was using.

One of the procedures was a reliability tune...I should have asked at the time but I have wondered ever since why he needed to know mag type.

All I had at that time were mil surplus and the ones that were issued with the Colt, Metalform types, with the fixed floor plate and dimpled follower, all 7 rounders

Can someone explain why the custom smith needed to know mag type...Thanks, JJ

There's lots of different mag designs for 1911s, seven, eight, and ten round versions and variety in the springs and followers.
The smith probably has had experience with how they can affect the end result of his work.
He's just being thorough.

Thanks Willikers. That's a good explanation

I am well aware of mag effects IMO, if an auto pistol in good shape, lubed right, etc malfunctions, its usually a fault of the mag. After trying to figure this out I'm thinking it probably has something to do with extractor tuning but don't really know.

If you had a brand that was a known trouble-maker, he might have offered to reform the lips. There's a tool you can get for that. Some others, he might have recommended a couple of extra pounds of recoil spring to be sure of stripping rounds from it. Not necessary with the standard GI mags, so no reason to put the extra wear on the link lugs using them.

It might also have to do with his willingness to warranty his own work. There are some magazines on the market that are so bad that I would be reluctant to do work on a gun if I knew the customer used them. They would fail, and he would blame me.

Jim

Back