Quarter Rib Installation

Dr.Rob

Staff Alumnus
I have always liked the looks of big bore safari rifles with 1/4 ribs and express sights, but rifles with these features typically cost over $1000. I was looking at a CZ 550 Mauser action rifle in .375 H&H magnum for $565.. is it possible to add a 1/4 rib to this gun? or does a 1/4 rib have to be added "at the factory". Also would like to move the front sling swivel off the fore-end and replace witha barrel band swivel (aestheics aside.. that swivel is in the WRONG place for such a heavy recoiling rifle.

Actually.. anyone with any thoughts/experience with CZ rifles in particular would love to hear from you. Have been looking to buy a reasonably priced .375 for Africa and CZ seems to be a really good buy (and since its a Mauser LOTS of aftermarket access. available), but I'd really like those 2 additional features.. are they available from the factory??

Thanks,

Dr.Rob

Dr. Rob, the quarter ribs themselves sell for $75.00. These are blanks and have to be machined for the particular sight you want to use. Your local gunsmith should be able to install that as well as fix you up with a band type swivel. If you don't have anyone near you feel free to e-mail me and I'll give you a quote for the complete job.

I've had a few CZs in the shop for one thing or another but never owned one. And testing one for function or even sighting one in really isn't the same as owning one and shooting it frequently with your pet load. Hopefully someone who has owned one will comment on it. George

Back