Quality of Work from Springfield Custom?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dogger

I am thinking of sending off a MILSPEC Springfield M1911A1 to Springfield Custom for their Tactical Response Package:

>Install low mount Novak carry sights;
>install dovetailed ramp front sight;
>tune and polish extractor;
>polish feed ramp and throat barrel;
>deburr complete pistol internally;
>install custom match bushing;
>check headspace;
>lightweight combat trigger;
>combat action job with smoothly tuned 4 1/2 - 5 1/2# trigger pull;
>extended thumb safety;
>custom fitted beavertail grip safety;
>bevel and polish mag well;
>heavy duty recoil spring;
>Carry Bevel™ all sharp edges of pistol;
>machine checker front strap;
>install checkered flat mainspring housing;
>Black-T™ finish;
>test fire pistol.

This work will cost over $600.

Question: do they do a good job? Does anyone have any feedback on the quality of their work? Any personal experiences?

Thanks

Dogger:

I used to own a Springfield Armory 1911. It was pretty much what you have...parkerized, but with Millett high viz fixed sights.

I sent it to Springfield Armory's Custom Shop for a reliability carry package and was very pleased with the work they performed. The only thing I added on was an Ed Brown ambi safety. These modifications were certainly not as extensive (or as expensive) as what you're looking at, but the work was first rate.

This was done back in the early 1990s....I really have had no experience with them since and I no longer own the weapon.

Hope this helps...good luck!
Mike

Dogger,
You might want to consider selling your MILSPEC 1911-A1 and using the proceeds toward the purchase of one of Springfield's "loaded" 1911's. The base PX9109 model comes with a nice beavertail, Novak low-mount rear sight, front cocking serrations, extended thumb safety, long 3-hole trigger, and so forth. These pistols can be found at gun shows for about $550.

They aren't perfect (They have alot of sharp edges, the front sight isn't a cross-dovetail unit, and the trigger pull was a bit heavy on mine), but they offer a very attractively priced starting point. With one of these, you could get a cross-doevetail front sight installed, a carry bevel package, a trigger job, and refinishing and end up in about the same place.

Dave Williams, of Springfield's custom shop, and his crew turn out a nice product.

Rosco

Greetings. A few years ago, I ordered a Springfield Lightweight Gov't Model from the company's custom shop. All I had done was to add an Ed Brown beavertail safety, do a 4lb trigger job and add high visibility fixed sights. The gun was received in about 8 weeks and was perfectly done. It has not malfunctioned and the sights were well-regulated from the custom shop. This is my only experience with them. Best.

Mike and Rosco: Thanks for the feedback. I have looked hard at the "Loaded guns", but do not want the front cocking serrations and the full length guide rod. I have also noticed the sharp edges on these pistols. The rear cocking serrations are very aggressive, and I prefer the more traditional ones on the MILSPEC.

Stephen, I have considered the Springfield Lightweight government model for several years now, but never knew anyone that owned one so I could determine how well they held up and how well they liked it. Have you been pleased with yours? How is the frame holding up?

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back