Quality of "factory reconditioned"

bricz75

I came across a lever action rifle that is "factory reconditioned" One part of the ad also refers to mild cosmetic blemishes. Regarding mechanical quality and reliability, is factory conditioned typically worse, the same, or better than the same model that didn't go through a factory reconditioning process.

The term isn't an industry standard, it's something that their marketing department came up with. Cabela's sells items that are labeled "factory reconditioned" and they usually are fully functional but have cosmetic blemishes. They don't look new, they look used but work as new. You need to decide if it's worth it to you to save a few bucks or buy brand new. For some people who plan on using the products it doesn't really matter if the price is right. I've seen Cabela's crossbows being sold and there is nothing wrong with them. However, on a thousand dollar + crossbow I'd rather start new than save a hundred bucks or so. If you wait for a sale the difference might be close. It's all about what your level of expectation is with cosmetics. In a way I envy the guys who don't care. They spend less money for the same usable products I hesitate on. Your call.

Sometimes "factory reconditioned" means that the first purchaser didn't like it and returned it unused. Like NoSecondBest said - there is no industry standard for meaning.

I bought a factory reconditioned Taurus Thunderbolt rifle in .45 colt. These rifles had a lot of issues and i was actually happy to find a refurb in like new condition minus a couple of stock scratches, which has been reworked and certified to run with a lifetime warranty certificate with it. Plus it was $325 when new ones go for a whole lot more.

I bought a factory reconditioned Taurus Thunderbolt rifle in .45 colt. These rifles had a lot of issues and i was actually happy to find a refurb in like new condition minus a couple of stock scratches, which has been reworked and certified to run with a lifetime warranty certificate with it. Plus it was $325 when new ones go for a whole lot more.

The rifle that gave me the idea for this thread is Rossi. I think they're owned by Taurus. Sounds like a reworked or "reconditioned" can be better than a completely new one.

It'll probably be as reliable as any other Rossi.

I didn't know any manufacturers use a contractor to recondition their firearms.
Many do.
Remington is a big one coming immediately to mind that sends the majority of suspected simple repairs to contracted gunsmiths. (Including it's 'children': Marlin and H&R.)

Most smart FFL store front business won't sell factory new recondition firearms. Such returned firearms usually end up appropriately in their used gun rack as such labeled weaponry inhibits NIB sales with there usual % amounts in sales compensation.

When a gun store starts down the path of selling factory recondition to new as a favor to their supplier. Its quite possible over time to see such gun shop in receivership.

Last edited:
Remington is a big one coming immediately to mind that sends the majority of suspected simple repairs to contracted gunsmiths. (Including it's 'children': Marlin and H&R.)

I'm not sure how to feel about that. Any opinions on whether it is good, bad, or does't matter?

I have bought many different reconditioned items over the years and some were slightly used and some looked new. I have never had any issues with them. Reconditioned means they were inspected closely and whatever was wrong with them has been fixed. I think they are inspected more closely than new ones to make sure they are right.

I bought a circuit judge from kygunco on their blemished/reconditioned deals. It functioned flawlessly. Only potential blemish I could find was maybe some discoloration of the trigger and hammer. Either way it was worth it.

Ended up selling it because I never shot it. 45 colt and .410 get expensive unless you're hand loading.

I'm not sure how to feel about that. Any opinions on whether it is good, bad, or does't matter?
Most of the contractors have more skill and experience than the guys that get a Remington pay check.
Don't worry about it.

Back