Quality/ Affordable ear protection for large cal. revolvers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Dave

Howdy:

Well, got to shoot a 6" 586 for the first time. Really enjoyed it a lot. There's somthing special about a big revolver.

I expected the recoil to be worse. I was told the ammo was pretty hot. Didn't get the details on it.

Now I'm thinking maybe I need to move up to a .44 Mag. I'll test one of those this weekend at the required firearms class that I need to purchase guns in Hawaii.

So, that brings me to my question. I want good hearing protection for a .357 or .44 but, I can't justify spending $150+. Is there a quality product for half that (or less)?

What do you guys suggest?

Thanks,

Dave

I use the Peltor collapsible ear muffs for most of my shooting. When that doesn't seem to be enough, I double up with a set of foam ear plugs.
BTW, the Peltor's cost me about 20$ and the foam ear plugs run about 25-50 cents a set.

------------------
May your lead always hit center mass and your brass always land in your range bag.

~Blades~

Ditto that last remark!

After trying most of the common hearing protection on the market, I've finally settled on using a combination of comfortable rubber plugs (don't know which brand, had them for years and they are comfortable), and the Aero Peltor Collapseable Electronic Muffs. THE PERFECT combination for any shooting or working around machinary like lawn mowers and chain saws. Get a pair of the non electronic ones for the wife if she uses the vaccuum cleaner.

I'm, getting married next month and I bought a set for all of my groomsmen. EVERYONE should have one. Its a small price to pay for hearing the rest of your life. I'm not preaching to YOU or trying to sell anything. I've just realized how very wonderful it is to keep the hearing that God has given me. I already lost some of it to loud music, machines at home and the job, and to a lesser extent firearms.

The Peltors are not the best for noise reduction. Some supress more sound. Its just that the Aero Peltors are the most comfortable that I've been able to find so far. This combination of plugs/muffs seem to suppress more sound than the more expensive higher decible muffs. Because they are comfortable, I where them whenever they are needed and as long as needed. If you can find a COMFORTABLE set of in the canal plugs, this should take care of most applications where extra noise is concerned. I always wear this combination when shooting or mowing or weed eating. Light weight, easy to clean, comfortable, cheaper than a hearing aid later on.

If you hunt, one of the electronic models would be a good investment. Shop around or wait on a sale if you want a pair for around $120. They come in full size and compact. Get the compact. It is only a couple decibles less protection, but is flat enough to allow you to place your cheek on the stock of a shoulder arm. When used alone for hunting, you can crank up the volume to hear prey and can tell pretty well which direction the sounds comming from. When you fire, the volume shuts off before the sound reaches your ears. You get the benefit of enhanced hearing when you need it, noise suppression when you need it, and therefore less chance of flinch or hearing loss.

At the range, you can use plugs AND crank up the volume so you can still here range commands.

I ordered my first pair and there was a faint buzz with certain sounds and the volume wasn't as loud as I thought it should be. I sent it back to MIDWAY w/in the warantee period and they got a replacement from the company. New pair is fine; a little louder too. I think I bought 8 pairs of the regular Model 6, I think, for my friends. I hope they use them. I don' t think they would use an uncomfortable pair very long. Also, I got some replacement foam for the inserts on the electronic ones from the company, because the thicker replacements were more comfortable for my ears after long periods of time.

[This message has been edited by EQUALIZER (edited September 15, 1999).]

I agree with the Peltor recommendation. I started with the Peltor low profile series and it works fine at $20. But then I got a .50 DE and wanted something more in noise reduction (especially in the indoor range) so I bought a PELTOR® - H7 Deluxe Series and it works great at $40. They also have the exteme series and of course the expensive P7 series electronics ones. check it out:
http://www.peltor.com/html/products/peltor/prod03.htm

I use the ultimate 10 from Peltor. It has a NRR of 29. That`s the most you can get these days for a passive device.

CTD sells it for less than 20 bucks. It`s a good deal.

I've been using a set of silencio plugs for about five years now and like them very much. They're moldable and expand when you put them in your ears much like the disposables except these are more effective and reuseable. when I shoot indoors I throw on a set of $5.00 muffs I got about 15 years back.
I've been thinking about getting a set of those plugs that have the baffles in them so you don't get that plugged up feeling. Anybody tried 'em? Do they reduce the levels enough to be effective?

------------------
TJS

Thanks Guys,

My ears are starting to hurt just reading the posts.

I'll look into all the options and pick something up this weekend.

Dave

when cigs were cheap I'd tear the filters off
and use them for plugs,but I quit smoking and
had to buy some Silencio ear muffs, best for the buck,:]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back