Quality .45LC

BoogieMan

I think I want a SA in 45LC. Like the JP Sauer, Beretta and a few others. However I would like something that is color case hardened and has grips readily available in case I would like to change them. When shopping around are there any brands that you guys would recommend or would suggest that I stay away? I dont mind spending some $$$ but I dont want to drop Freedom Arms money either.

Last edited:
Go buy a Ruger Blackhawk, the most gun for the dollar.

If you want a Colt type SA then find a Uberti, a Cimarron is a very nice choice
since Uberti makes them.

I'll second that. With the Blackhawk you will get adjustable sights, good because it is fun to work with handloads in the 45 Colt. I had a BH with 4-5/8" barrel that would shoot clover leaves all day with 7 gr of Red Dot and a 200-gr SWC crimped over the shoulder.

Do you want a Single Action Army clone or a more modern SA like the Blackhawk?

Blackhawk is a great choice, super tough and you can buy the convertible model with spare cylinder to shoot .45 ACP. Unfortunately, it only comes in blue or stainless.

Uberti makes the Cattleman; very popular and has a ton of different versions of it, including the color case hardened you like.

Be further advised that J.P. Sauer no longer makes a Single Action revolver. In fact, I believe its SIG-Sauer now.

Bob Wright

@BobWright- if memory serves me correctly you have several fine looking SAs with CCH finish. Are there other option than Turnbul for CCH a blued gun? What would I expect to pay for such a service?

On a Side note: Has anyone sen fine brass bead sights for handguns? Im would like something similar to the Williams rifle sights.

There are several who CCH revolvers, Cylinder & Slide is the only one to come to my mind right now, but there are several.

Price is dependent on the amount of preparation required, at least for Turnbull.

Prices range from around $150 to $200, and again, depends on what is to be done, i.e. stripping old finish and polishing to bright metal, disassembling and reassembly after the work, etc.

In other word, whether you send in your whole gun, or just the frame, or just the polished frame.

Bob Wright

Last year I sold all of my SAA clones and replaced them with genuine Colts. No, it was not a cheap venture. But after nearly 50 years of shooting I realized that the Colts WERE that much better and did justify the price. I had one real Colt and when I compared it to the clones the replicas were found wanting.

Here are the two in 45 Colt I picked up. They are both 2G examples that were commemorative models turned into shooters. These are often found at relatively cheap prices.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Does that case hardening process ruin the frame strength on a Ruger?

It looks super nice. I sure wish Ruger would offer this as a factory option. The standard Blackhawks looks very plain.

hopefully your case hardening will not run across the rear sight notch. kinda screws up its function. bobn

BoogieMan: ((( IMHO))), You would be hard pressed to beat a Ruger Blackhawk in 45LC for your first S/A revolver. And if I were you I would think real hard about getting a Convertible Model in 45ACP/45LC with a 71/2 in barrel. In either Stainless Steel or Blue. I really like mine, and I have had it since 1972 and I never had a problem of any kind with it. Good luck on You choice.
ken

What you need to decide first is are you interested in tradition, or functional utility most?

If it's functional utility, Ruger is the best gun for the money. Blackhawk for the greatest range of ability, New Vaquero for Colt size and look alike.

On the other hand, if you want case hardening, four clicks, the traditional half cock, and carry "five beans in the wheel" then get a Colt, or a clone.

But, beware of the Blackhawk trap. If you start with a (new model) Blackhawk in .45 Colt, with its adjustable sights, safe carry fully loaded, and the ability to match .44 Magnum with carefully worked up handloads, you might not be happy later with a Colt SAA which can't match this.

I got my first Ruger .45 Blackhawk (convertible) a 7.5" in 83. I currently have 10, Blackhawks, Super Blackhawk, Vaqueros and a new Vaquero, and of course, a Super Single Six.

ALL new model guns. I don't, and won't own a Colt, simply to have a Colt, and after all these years with Ruger new models, the different manual of arms of the Colt seems odd to me. Also, the Colt SAA (and the New Vaquero) seem "small" (and fragile) after decades with the larger Blackhawks and Vaqueros. Its a personal matter, but it is kind of a trap.

A friend of mine has Colts, a rather nice selection. To HIM, my Rugers are big and clunky, and don't "load right". TO each their own.

Its never an easy choice with so many fine firearms available. I have narrowed things ever so slightly. The Colts are nice but the price puts them up there with Freedom Arms and I dont think that the quality is there. I dont want a SS gun. I have several and I just prefer the look of blued steel with wood grips. It also allows me the option of having it CCH in the future if I get tired of the look.
I am going to stop at one of my LGS today and put my hands on the BlackHawk and Vaquero. Based purely on looks and never having handled one I would tend to go lean toward the Vaquero.
I have shot a SBH a few times and I was not really a fan. Lighter recoil of the 45lc and the comfort of spending time with my own gun and my own timeframe will without doubt be a different experience.

The Vaquero looks much smoother and refined than the BH and the there is the V. Bisley. VB grip angle appears almost like a DA revolver angle. What is the prime difference between these 3 models?

Another vote for the BH 45 convertible with 7.5" barrel. Not only are the sights adjustable, they are significantly larger and easier to see. The 7.5" barrel gives you a very long sight radius. I am a mediocre shot, but this revolver makes me look like I know what I am doing. The 45acp cylinder is a great feature. Mine shoots it just as accurately as the 45 colt, but it is much easier to find and cheaper. It is one of my favorite handguns.

Back