Qs about the CZ 527 Carbine

BredanSIG

Hello,
I found a NIB 527 Carbine for $490, and wanted to hear what you guys have to say about this rifle. Is there any issues in shooting steel cased(Wolf, Mil Surp, etc) ammo thru the gun? What brands of ammo have been good thru your guns? How about the iron sights, are they adequate for 100 yards or so? I imagine the single set trigger is nice, but is the unset trigger good? This would be used as a fun range gun, and maybe for some hunting(I understand the 7.62x39 isn’t the best choice for those White Tail Safaris).

Oh, and what is the bore diameter of the rifle…..is it .308 or .311?

Thanks a lot!

I did a google search "cz forums" http://p201.ezboard.com/fczechpistols82792frm6.showMessage?topicID=809.topic
I think if you muck around a bit you'll find the answer.
I shot some rem. umc in my sks accuracy was poor. I miced the bullet at .308, most 7.62x39 are .311 . the wolf 154 gr. sp shoots well in my sks, these should be easy to find compared to fmj which maybe off to hot spots.
You can e-mail CZ USA with questions they are very helpful.

Last edited:
I have the 527 in .223 and I absolutely love that rifle - it's probably my favorite of all of my rifles. The set trigger is very good and the un-set trigger is just as good. It is fully adjustable so you can adjust the trigger down to whatever # is good for you.

My 527 seems to like the Winchester whitebox the best. I have never shot the wolf ammo through my rifle as it's way to dirty for my likes. I think you would be very happy with this rifle IMHO.

CZ 527 in 7.65X39

I have one of these carbines, and it's a great little gun. The regular trigger pull is fine, though maybe not the absolute best, and the set trigger is easy to use and makes sighting-in really easy. I really like the single set trigger feature. (I have a CZ 550 FS with the same type trigger.)

As to the iron sights, they are adequate for 100 yards if you are. At my age, they would have been better 15 years ago. I have a couple of other iron sighted rifles I could routinely shoot 1.5-2.0 inch groups with 15 years ago, now it seems like they are all 2.0-3.0, and the guns haven't changed. I can shoot a 3 inch group with the CZ 527 any time, though I think if the rear sight were on the receiver, I might hit targets better. If I take my time and concentrate and use the set trigger, I can get the groups down to around 2 inches most days. It's certainly adequate out to 100 yards, though.

As to ammo, it likes the Wolf, and I keep a stock of it for insurance, but I am superstitious about steel cases and prefer Winchester, Rem, or Federal brass cases. I have a set of RCBS dies to reload with, but have not done so yet. I bought several brands of bullets advertized as being for 7.65X39, which is what I have read the CZ is made for and since it is European, that is most likely true. The Wolf ammo will be .310 or so, and that may be why mine shoots Wolf better than some of the US brands, which may be .308. When I set myself down to reloading for it, I'll try both & we'll see.

I have the CZ 527 in 7.62x39. The iron sights are probably good out to 100 yards, but my eyes aren't anymore. I have a 4x32 scope on mine.

So far it's been difficult to find a variety of ammunition for the gun. I am also leery of using steel-cased ammunition, but I haven't heard other owners report problems doing so. Remington UMC and Winchester PowerPoint are all I've tried so far. The bore diameter is still a mystery, for I haven't slugged mine to check it, nor called CZ to ask. The American stuff is giving me OK results. (targets were shot with Remington UMC)

I've very pleased with the accuracy of mine scoped, at least at 50 yards. Recoil is manageable, and the set trigger is great. The rifle is light and handy. Definitely a keeper. Now if I can just find ammunition . . .

jmm

Attachments

• 1512.jpg
    1512.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 125
  • 1513.jpg
    1513.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 107
I have one and it is a fun rifle. As to ammo, mine will shoot any but some are more accurate than others. The only problem I have found can be related to the magazine not working correctly all the time, some need to be tweaked.

Thanks for the replys folks. As to the diameter of the bore, I did some research and found something interesting. The Ruger Mini-Thirty, M77, Rossi single shot, and the NEF all had bores of .311 (must be an American or Western thing). I will try to verifiy this info and post it here.

Back