Qs about a cs richmond rifle(euroarms)

new4me

Hi guys, now that im addicted to black powder via pistols, im heading off into rifles. I have a euroarms cs richmond rifled musket(58 cal). I have picked up some hornady 525gr hbhp mini balls. My questions start with will these give me problems they seem tight at the muzzle(manufacture says they should be snug)2nd what are my min and max powder charges with this rifle?

Also on a side note , I have a chance to pick a zouave rifle up, but the owner says one time he doubled the powder charge (120 grains) on accident. He says the rifle still shoots fine. Do you think he could have damaged it?

Any thoughts would be great ,
Rich

It's not damaged. I've shot 120 grs. out of my 53 Enfield many times in my younger days. The rifle is over 30 years old now and will still nail a five gallon bucket at 300 yds. with 70 grs.

60-70 grs. will give you plenty of power and accuracy. Minies should be a relatively easy fit. Mine will load with the weight of the ramrod all the way down to the last three inches or so. If you push it down you can hear the air whooshing past the ball.

Was the charge that he doubled 120 grains, thus shooting 240 grains? Or was 120 grains the doubled amount?

60 grains seems light for that rifle - not unheard of, but a little light...

The U.S. used 60 grs., C.S. used 65. I used to use 90 for hunting but after doing some experiments settled on 70 for everything. It packs plenty of punch and long range shooting isn't nearly as much lob action as you'd think.
With 70 grs. my Enfield sights are pretty much dead on elevation wise.

Thanks for the info fellas, Mykeal it was 120gr. I have to pick up some powder this week and might also try some round ball aswell. I will let you know how It goes.

Thanks,
Rich

The U.S. used 60 grs., C.S. used 65. I used to use 90 for hunting but after doing some experiments settled on 70 for everything.

Ok, thanks Hawg. I learned something there. For some reason I had 90 in my head as the load for that rifle. I may own one soon - going to an auction today where there are 3 in the catalog. They aren't my primary interest but if one is in good shape and doesn't go too high...

They're getting higher every day. They're really good guns and those big minies pack a heckuva wallop. It takes a lot of lead to cast them tho.

.58 Cal 1863 Remington Zouave

I use a standard U.S. Load of 60gr ffg w/ a .575 500gr Minnie Ball I mold in a Lyman Mold. Dang accurate and a good fit. Gave up using patched balls.
Found these on a dig...
2pob3v9.jpg

was diggin' in my garage
SG :D

My questions start with will these give me problems they seem tight at the muzzle

Actually the euroarms barrel are tight, i have a 2007 1864 springfield and the same miniè ball that i use in all my other .58 (a zouave and a colt signature) don't fit well, i have made a resizer for that rifle for a good loading!
A my friend have a richmond of 2005 production and the barrel is large respect the springfield, and it have the springfield too
I think the real problem of euroarms in that it doesn't make the barrel but buy its from different barrel maker, there are lot of small workshop in the valley (Gardone Val Trompia, were all the Italian arms are made) and all of it produced rough part for the biggests name!
Armisport born like barrel maker for euroarms, now is a replica maker with his name!
Pedersoli makes barrel for his rifle, but sells barrel to other makers of modern bolt action rifle, Artax buy very good barrel in germany but make a lot of mistake with twist rate:D:D
ciao
Rusty

Back