Pythons- How Old?

valkyrie.rider

I have two Pythons, a four and a six inch barrel. I bought them both used. I have been reading about "70's" vintage v "80's" vintage etc, but don't know how to tell the difference. I checked the archives on this board and didn't find anything. I would appreciate knowing how to "date" my Pythons. Thanks.

You can call Colt's customer service at 1-800-962-Colt and give them the serial numbers. They can tell you what year the guns were manufactured. I haven't been able to find another source for dating the guns.

Dick

valkyrie.rider:

Do like that name--spend much time in Germany?

Easiest way to date Pythons is to buy a copy of R.L. Wilson's COLT's DATES OF MANUFACTURE pocket handbook for 5-6 dollars as I remember. Up to the sixties, SN will have no letter pre-fix. E-prefix began in 69 and became a suffix in 75. In 78 the suffix changed again to N and V.

Just remember that Colt quality control was a problem in the sixties and seventies as well during various periods. Just age isn't a surefire indicator of quality though the earlier actions were sure smoother than any of the eighties vintage (and later) Custom Shop iterations I've handled or owned.

Thanks. While the action on both guns is very good, I have noticed that one of them is definitely smoother than the other. It will be interesting to find out when they were made.

As to the handle, I ride a Valkyrie motorcycle. Never been to Germany, but would like to take my bike there.....

Valkyrie,

I have the book mentioned, it is good up to a certain point (newest guns aren't in it). Post or email me the front of the serial no. (xx for the last digits) and I can put a date on them.

Back