Pythons, collectible or shootable?

stans

I am wondering if I should put my Python's away and keep them as collectibles or take them to the range and shoot them 'till my heart's content. When I bought them a few years ago, Pythons were going for around $500 to $600, I got these for a little under $450 each. So, I will describe my two Pythons and listen to your responses.

#1 is a six inch barrel, blue, with walnut factory stocks. The finish is about 98%, only slight wear at the muzzle end and a ring around the cylinder where the bolt stop must have dragged at some point (it does not drag at this time). The previous owner did put white sight paint on the front sight blade. Serial number is E77XXX. It has been shot as evidenced by some jacket fouling in the barrel and a little finish wear on the breach face.

#2 is a eight inch barrel, blue, with walnut factory stocks. The finish is about 95%, with a few small scratches on the barrel, possibly from gun show handling. The serial number is K09XXX. It has been shot as evidenced by some lead fouling in the barrel, but no finish wear on the breach face.

Neither gun has white outline rear sights. The lock-up is tight on both, but the six incher seem to have a nicer trigger action and just seems a little nicer in the fit and finish department.

I await your responses, thanks in advance.

I shoot mine.
I shoot ALL of my guns.
I am not a collector or a speculator.
I figure if a gun costs more it ought to shoot better.
If it doesn't, I let a collector have it.

Unless they are unfired & NIB, shooting probably won't reduce their value. I agree with the others, shoot and enjoy them. Keep them clean and properly stored and the finish will hold up fine.
Take Care

Pythons,

Usem', shootem', enjoy them. I gave my Custom Shop 6" Python to my wife, she became rather good at it shooting silhouettes. LIke someone said before, if it's not NIB or a Special model from the Custom Shop that is NIB, they aren't going to gain a whole lot more in value. Mine are also all tools and I've got some pretty expensive tools but they were bought to enjoy. Shooting them is not going to hurt them if using standard loads and shooting practices.

Topstrap

You don't own collectable guns...they are shooters. Shoot the hell out of them and laugh at the ruger owners while you do it.

Shooter's?

These two Python's are definitely shooter's.:) If you
never shot them, you would be missing out on Colt's
finest offering in a .357 magnum.:( Drag those Python's
out of the closet, and enjoy them while you can.:D

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, Life Member N.R.A.

Back