Python

ScottsGT

Saw a beautiful Python this weekend at a gunshow. 6 1/2 " (or somewhere close to it) barrel, blue, mid '70's production. Typical cylinder drag scratch on ring, and a little wear off the finish on the cylinder arm where it rubs the frame when opened. Guy's asking $700. Worth it?

Hmm... well... I think i will give you two answers to you question.

1) Probably that is a *little* high, but not insanely high. Pythons have gone up a lot in value in the past few years. I have heard of NIB Pythons going for $1100-1200 lately. There is ONE stainless one for sale down here at a local shop for $600, but it is the only Python that i have seen for sale in months. In other words, if you like it and can afford it, buy it. They are elegant, very slick, and quite accurate.

2) Unless you are particular fan of the Python, consider a S&W 686 (pref old style pre-agreement). They are not quie as smooth right out of the box, and may not make quite as good a dedicated bullesye gun, but they can be tuned to have VERY nice triggers, are generally as accurate as i will ever be able to shoot a handgun and seem to be a lot 'tougher' than the Python. (I have seen Pythons that shot out of time in less than 150 rounds of full power .357 mag ammo.) HOWEVER, if you are not gonna shoot a lot of magnums then that is not a big factor.

Personally, I would take the $700 and shop around and find a matched pair of used S&W 686 and 617 (k-frame .22LR twin).

Stainless Python NIB over $1K-not worth it
Mid 70's Blued Python LNIB-$700.00 priceless

Or something like that. These guns were supposedly
hand crafted; I doubt that the newer stainless Pythons were done this way?

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, Life Member N.R.A.

Ala Dan,
Sorry about the confusion, but the stainless was also a 1970's production, NIB. The guy has been a Colt collector for most of his life, he's getting older, and I think he is just cashing in on his retirement account. :rolleyes:

ScottsGT, if it's not a royal blue finish, then I think $700 is too much. You might find a similar Python on one of the online auctions for $600 or so.

If there is any doubt, the newer SS Pythons are poor in workmanship, from personal experience.

I wonder if Colt will actually make the Python the true semi-custom I paid for, or still make them like crap, then charge a "custom" price

70s vintage stainless steel Pythons do not exist

If it is 70s vintage it would be nickel, NOT stainless steel. Nickel finish was available through 85. Stainless production started in 83. So, there was a 2 year overlap in the early 80s.

BlueBook values 22nd edition
Blued
100% - $895
98% - $775
95% - $650

Nickel
100% - $995
98% - $825
95% - $675

Stainless
100% - $925
98% - $775
95% - $600

Ultimate Bright Stainless
100% - $950
98% - $775
95% - $600

Add 10% for NIB condition. Add 50% for early production high polish finish.

As long as we're on the Python subject, I just took delivery today of a nickel Python, ANIB (and it does look new), circa 1980. It's beautiful. I already have the same gun, but fired a bit and circa 1975. The older one has a much lighter trigger pull. The new one is tight in every respect. Did the Python's smooth out with use, or is it possible the older one had a trigger job?

As for the $700 figure, it seems high. But what do I know? I always pay too much.

Monkeyleg

I broke out my Dad's old Python from the early 70s and compared it to mine from the early 80s.

His is a 4 inch nickel and mine is a 6 inch blue. The trigger on his is lighter, but not much. His also easily has around 50k rounds through it compared to mine with only 300.

I really don't think they will lighten up much with mega use. I remember shooting my father's when I was a boy and pretty much grew up around the gun. I don't think the trigger ever lightened any with use.

After sitting here and dry-snapping the two, it's obvious that the trigger pull on the unfired one is heavier than the old fired one. Probably about a five-pound pull versus a three-pound pull. I don't intend to shoot the unfired one, but I'm surprised at the difference.

There's other differences as well. The unfired one feels tight in every area when compared to the unfired one: crane, cylinder spin, cylinder lockup, even hammer pull.

Actually, the older fired Python's SA trigger is about the same in feel as my 1980's vintage S&W 586, which I'd had a trigger job done on. Of course, that Smith doesn't call to me to take it out of the case and fondle it.

It's tempting to keep the older Python to shoot, although my wife gently reminded me that the new Python cost what she gets paid in a month. I promised her I was going to sell the old Python; maybe she won't notice. ;)

You didn`t say what the dealer would take.

They expect you to dicker at gunshows. Of course, it helps to have a lot of cash with you.:)

Dick, does it feel like it`s binding? Maybe it was dropped and the cylinder is slightly out of line. I had that with my Model 10 when I got it back after the layoffs in the `70s.:( The Smith fixed it right up.

I paid 675 for my 6 inch nickel made in 1980 Python in almost perfect shape with original wood grips and no box. The nickels are usually slightly more than the blued versions, but which is better is a matter of preference (my preference being nickel). The price isn't a bad one, but it's not a steal either. If you want it, buy it. If you don't have to have it right away, you can probably find a better deal elsewhere. Or, you can follow Dinosaur's excellent advice and make a counteroffer.

I wouldn't expect a Python trigger to get lighter with use. The old fashion "V" spring is generally bent to ligthen the trigger. However, bending can result in unreliable ignition or if over enthusiastically applied, can break the spring. Some things can be done to "smoothen" the trigger pull. If the sear is lightly peened (must have a curved peening block to rest it on), you can stretch it out a little longer. This will make the trigger pull longer, and smoother since the time the trigger engages the sear is longer.

That sounds like a reasonable price for a good use Python. The gun will appreciate in value over time. As for shooting: my revolver manual makes reference to how Colt designed the assembly around the "hand" that turns the cylinder star and the fact that it is subjected to recoil forces and frequently breaks. SW does not have this problem. Still, Pythons are worshipped and this would surely be a good investment.

Back