Python trigger job

9mmepiphany

this is my first new posting, so please be gentile with me :). folks here seem to be pretty knowledgeable.

i'm looking for somone to kink the mainspring, pre-time the cylinder and put in a single stage pull.

i'm always looking for new pistolsmiths who know how to, notice i didn't say "can" :rolleyes:, work on my snakes. i've been around awhile :o, so i know about Jungkind, Tedford(deceased) and Moran(lost :confused:, unless somone out there knows where he went) i had my last PPC gun done by Paul Crowe at Bill Davis Co in Sacto CA(moved away, last i heard he was w/essex arms) and have heard about Greg Roberts up in Wash.

thanks for sharing all your knowledge

Bill Laughridge at http://www.cylinder-slide.com is well respected for his Colt revolver work.

You can always try puting a recurve bend in the V mainspring yourself. You put a drill bit shank (about the diameter of a 1911 firing pin) in the point of the V and cock the hammer. I did this on mine and was very happy with the results, but only for a few hundred rounds. Then I started getting light hit misfires. Luckly http://www.brownells.com sells repalcements for only $8.

Good Luck...

Joe

Pre-time the cylinder? Does that mean you want the bolt to pop up faster before the forward leading edge of the cylinder notch (hereinafter "FLEC") approaches the bolt window of the frame? This is normally done on a police gun to ensure lockup and there is a drawback to it. It'll leave a ring around the cylinder since the bolt will drag across the cylinder while it waits to engage the FLEC.

Now, on the kinking of the mainspring. That's easy to do and is described above. There are drawbacks to it like reliable ignition. I wouldn't and refuse to do that for anyone.

Finally, turning to the single stage pull, that requires honing of the trigger and some light touching of the hammer shelf. That's not too hard but it should be done slowly with a hard arkansas stone (and finished with a ruby stone).

To warn you, my brother once took his Python to someone (before I learned how to do it at Lassen College) and it came back worse. I wound up fixing his messed up trigger which I thought was much better before it was sent out. Good luck in finding a Python smith. Suggest you do a search in the Smith Forum here and look under my name for Python actions. There's a thread which describes how the internal lockwork of the Python functions.

epiphany-when you say "pre-time" the cylinder, I take it to mean that you'd like the gun to "pre-time" like an S&W...cylinder to lock up NOTICEABLY before the hammer starts to fall in the DA triggerstroke...if so, the only guy I ever heard of who could do that was Moran...and I don't know where he is. That being said, I have handled some VERY GOOD Pythons...done by Lou Ciamillo of Maryland Gun Works[in Augusta, GA-really!]...he "evened out" the DA triggerpull so that the pull DID NOT stack...same weight/effort all the way through! Not inexpensive, but what is? Walt Sherman, a retired Fla. State Trooper in Tallahassee, does PRIMO action work on Pythons...even has a "roller bearing" sear conversion that is superslick! Don't know anything about his prices/backlog, but if I had a Python, he'd be on my SHORT list of guys to get in touch with...as would Reeves Jungkind, the retired Texas State Trooper. I've also heard good things about Laughridge at "Cylinder & Slide", but have no personal experience...I HAVE handled guns re-worked by Ciamillo and Sherman...look 'em up...and let us know what conclusions you reach...Good Luck!!!....mikey357

thanks for all the responses, i knew there must be more python smiths out there.

i've handled two pre-timed pythons. one was from reeves jungkind and the other was from jerry moran. i really liked the moran because there was no backlash in SA or DA. both guns had cylinders that rotated to full lockup prior to the hammer falling. there were no drag marks or pronounced cylider rings. i think they used a longer hand/pawl to advance the rotation without affecting bolt activation. wudda, if i cudda, but wass po'

mikey357 - much thanks, now i remember Sherman from the year he won the ppc nationals. i even remember seeing some drawings of how the roller bearing sear worked, interesting (much like the korth) but i could never find anyone who had handled one.

i've handled a ruger from maryland gunworks and it was very nice, i didn't know that he did colts too.

i looked into cylinder and slide but understand that laughridge only does a two stage trigger

the mainspring on my first python, duty carry and ppc, was set-up with a distintive step in it...never had a problem in thousands of rounds including federal and speer factory magnum loads.

we'll see how much i have left after x-mas

Hello. If the gun's internal parts are stock, I'd sure contact Lt. Jungkind (ret). I know him personally, have seen him shoot, and his knowledge of the Python's little secrets is legendary. I'd explain what I wanted and see if it's possible without some unforseen problem. I firmly believe Reeves Jungkind to be trustworthy and honorable. If you do contact him, please let him know that Steve Camp says hello. Best and good luck.

Back