Python shooting high

Badger

Inactive
I recently bought a used Python in minty condition. 4 inch barrel.I've been shooting target velocity .357's with a 158 grain bullet that are hitting several inches high at 50 feet. This may be my shooting technique but its the only revolver I've had this problem with. I can't adjust the sights any lower.Does anyone know of any aftermarket sights that could help this problem. I haven't seen anything that's different than the factory ones. I also thought maybe a good trigger job might help if it is my technique and not the gun as I could be breaking my wrist up in anticipation of the recoil. The only other solution I have come up with is to try some 110 or 125 grain bullets but I don't want to have to go to a much hotter load. Any thoughts here? Does anyone know of a smith who does nice work on Pythons?

You said it yourself. If it's not you and your shooting technique (no offense intended) it could be the particular ammunition that's being used.

Try other ammo to see if the results are the same (or have someone else shoot it). If it still shoots high with different ammo for both you and your buddy, then it is also possible that the barrel was tweaked slightly upwards. If such is the case, it's real simple to fix (but being a discerning owner of a Python you may have a heart attack).

Badger, this is just theory now because I haven't shot your pistol. But, most .357s are designed with fairly high velocities in mind. The 158gr bullet is probably about the slowest made for the .357. The slower the bullet the more time it spends in the barrel and is affected by barrel flip. What happens in effect is the slower the round the higher the point of impact. As Gary suggested different ammo, even a different brand of the same weight may very well shoot lower. I'm positive that lighter bullets will. George

Gary, you're not gonna scare him with the babbit bar fix, are you? Talk about a heart attack!.............But it works.

Badger,

Have you sandbagged or fired this gun from a rest? I will assume that you have not. Try firing some groups from a rest to eliminate as much of you as possible. If the gun still hits high from the rest, you can start to think about changing your loads or modifying the gun.

If you are of stout heart, you can lower the front sight a bit with a stone or fine toothed file. Only take a couple of light passes at a time, the shoot the gun from a rest.

Also, Ihave a hard time with the idea that the heavier bullet stays long enough in the barrel to be effected by recoil. I have seen on the web high speed footage of several firearms being fired to prove or disprove this theory. One can see that the bullet is long gone before the muzzle starts to rise. Recoil is the result of the bullet and the gases leaving the front of the barrel. I don't have the web address hand, but I will post it here tomorrow for everyones viewing enjoyment.

Joe P.
Tucson, AZ

an Addendum to the heavier bullet hitting higher...

Now ifsomeone was to say that the heavier bullet has different balistics and tends to rise higher during the flight path, that would be a whole different story. ;)

Okay,

As promised here is the website that contains
the high speed videos:
www.bitpress.com/DA/

If you watch the Beretta side view and the
2 Shots vids, you can see the bullet(s)leaving the barrel,long before the muzzle starts to rise. Look closely for the bullets, they are little dots but canbe seen.

Have fun!

Guys, try this test for yourself. Take any .357 mag or 44 mag and shoot a group of magnum then .38/.44 specials and you will see, even from a Ransom rest. Huge difference in point of impact. The non magnum rounds, slower rounds will always impact higher. The same test can be used for any two loads where one is faster than the other. You may think the bullet leaves the barrel before the muzzle starts to rise but it doesn't. George

struckatwork;
If you lower the front sight I think you will make the problem worse.Raise the front sight to lower bullet impact
Bob

Back