Python Elite...Worth the money?

Randy63

Hello all,
My local shop has a new stainless Python Elite for sale. They want $980.00 for it. I was wondering how the new Pythons stack up against earlier models from the 70's. I tend to think that Python's are over priced compared to S&W 686's, but I've been wanting one for a while now to basically put away and shoot infrequently. BTW if anyone in Eastern PA has a mint older 6" blued Python for sale drop me a line.
TIA,
Randy

I have owned two Pythons. One was an older blue 6" that I sold in one of my "I don't really like revolver moods." That was probably a mistake. The other was a brand new bright stainless 4". A beautiful gun, but honestly the 686 that I also had out shot it. The Pythons are beauties to look at. As much as I am pissed at S&W, the 686 is a far better value. At this time I don't own any revolvers. I'm into 1911s now.

i shoot every gun i have ever owned including my pythons (i have 3...all blued & 6")

i bought one new for $498 (long time ago) and it is still about 98%. the other two were bought used, $325 & $365, (1 ex-leo, 1 ex-security guard) with extensive holster wear...one was often mistaken for stain stainless (backstrap had no finish) years before it was offered in SS.

i've used both to embarrass many a L-frame when i was shooting PPC "leg matches". the python action is incomparable when properly tuned.

I have owned newer (late 80s) and older (mid-70s) Pythons. Based on my experience, the newer ones just are not the same. The newer ones are have the name (and the price) but are just not as well put together.

I'm a longtime Python fan, but FWIW I get the feeling that Colt's is at least partially marketing its current crop of Pythons to the collector rather than the shooter. Collecting Pythons is not like collecting SAAs yet, but may be edging closer. Time was, of course, that Pythons, like SAAs, were sold to shoot. I suspect that nowadays many buyers would consider them too great an investment to take to the range. Too bad, if true, because in my experience Pythons are great shooters with full magnum loads.

So, if I bought a thousand-dollar Python would I shoot it? Probably not! :( OTOH, I have others to shoot already.

Just my 1 1/2 cent.

i am a big python fan... I bought a NIB python 7 yrs ago for $450, which i thought was too much at the time.

Nice guns, but I dont think I would buy for $1000...

My favorite gun deal that I ever made was when I traded my 6" stainless Python for a S&W 625. I felt guilty, like I had ripped the other guy off. A Python is an OK gun, but it is no S&W.

Elite Custom Shop

Local shop had one with custom grips which sold for 1250.
Honestly, it had a TRULY bad trigger. I assume a collecter bought it as the trigger was on par with a Daisy Pump,IMO.
When they start making them again we'll see how rare they are....dewey

Back