Python--did I overpay?

Monkeyleg

There was an as-new-in-the-box 6" nickel Python over on gunbroker.com with no reserve, and it just seemed like something I had to have. The seller says it appears new and unfired. Anyway, I got in on the bidding at around $800 and hoped I could buy it for $850. Well, I wound up going up to $890. Too much? Didn't get a serial number, but the type of box would make it a 70's vintage.

Opinions?

I saw a restored (rebuilt) Python here that had been re-blued and had a trigger job selling for $1000. I don't think you overpayed if the gun is like new.

I was just offered my choice of Pythons for considerably less than that.

Still, given what I've seen at gunshows, that's an appropriate price.

Well, last year there were NIB nickel Pythons selling on the auction sites for over a grand. (Asking prices mean nothing). This is a case of second-guessing myself. The third bidder stopped at $800; if it hadn't been for the second bidder I would have had it for $805. I have to wonder if the seller didn't have a surrogate bidding up the price.

Can't wait to get it, though.

Dang Dick, I`ve been looking for one.

I sold one when I retired like a dope. I was hoping to find another one for less than that but I haven`t even seen any used nickles and I hit a lot of gunshows. If it helps a 4" blue cost me $600 a few months ago.

Monkeyleg--IMO, even if you could have found a less expensive Python elsewhere, this doesn't mean you paid too much. It's how much the gun is worth to you that counts. If you hadn't bought it, you might have kicked yourself later for missing an opportunity that may never come back. This has happened to me. I'd like to be able to go back and get the guns I didn't buy because they seemed too expensive at the time. Besides, I expect that a lot of people have paid more for less Python than you have.

In sum, just remind yourself: "Quality is remembered when price is forgotten."

HTH. :)

It's impossible to pay too much for a gun

but one thing I like to do after I KNOW I NEED it is to put it down and look at something else that's nice. T H E N buy the first one...dewey ......:p

I picked up my 6 inch nickel python a few months ago with wood grips in ANIB condition (no box, though) for 675 on one of the auction sites. I consider that an exceptional price, but keep in mind I was in no rush to buy and was looking for months. What you paid sounds high to me, but not outrageous. I think you'll get your money's worth.

Welcome to the snakelover support group!!

I think the price is within reason. After you shoot it, you'll forget about the price and realize you got a good deal.

Let us know how the first range trip goes.

Snake

:p Monkeyleg,
I owned two Pythons and lost one to bills and the other to divorce. I think they are worth every penny you paid. People tend to bad mouth them, I know , long life , ruggedness, but everyone of my friends who shot a Python loved it. I'm sure you will too! all the best.

Well, this is going to drive most of you nuts: I'm not going to shoot this gun.

You see, last January I bought a fired nickel Python with the idea that I would shoot it. But I just didn't have the heart to put any more wear on the finish. It's just pretty to look at. Then I decided that, if I was just going to have a "look-at" gun, it might as well be NIB. So the fired one will be sold to help defray the cost of the new one.

It really doesn't matter; I have enough other guns to shoot that just having one for the sake of pure beauty doesn't seem sacriligeous.

Dang Dick. Two Pythons. You've been snake bit. Congratulations! Enjoy! I sold a blue nib one for $500 in 1996. I couldn't bear to shoot it either.

Back