python availlability

speed

How hard is it to find a colt python?
I have not seen one on display anywhere for the longest time.
Living in nyc we don't have a great sellection of gun store's .

where should I look?....What's a good price for a new one?

I see them on colt's web site but somewhere I got the impression that they stoped making them ,am I wrong?

Is the quality the same as the older models?

Any help would be appreciated

thank you

Newer Pythons are rollmarked "Python Elite" on the barrel. I have never ran across one that is as slick as the older ones that just said "Python". They were nice, but only about as nice as a good S&W. Look for a used one from the fifties or sixties. Check the auction sites and know your serial numbers. When I picked up a used circa 60's four incher in Royal Blue, I dumped my 90s era six incher like a hot potato.

The difference was like night and day.

Come to Pa.!

I know in NYC you have a lot of paperwork to aquire a pistol so this may be a lot of trouble.

We`re supposed to have the 2nd highest # of gunshows here. I go to a lot of them and I see Pythons occasionally. I bought a gorgeous 4" blue at one a couple of months ago. The big ones like Harrisburg and Allentown aren`t that far from you.

Maybe you could find one and have it transferred to an FFL in NY? It`ll take some travelling and may not be worth it but it`s an idea.

Another idea might be the online gun auctions. Caveat Emptor is the rule here but they seem to work for most.

Expect to pay $550 (very low) to $1000 depending on which finish, barrel length etc. You`ll pay that kind of money for a new one and I`ve heard they don`t come close to the old ones. Good luck.

They're there. The new ones seem to be going for around 1100, and I'm told that the older ones were better. Depending on finish, what shape it's in, barrel length, grips, etc., used ones run between 600 and 900 dollars. I picked up mine (a 1980 nickel 6 inch with wood grips in like new shape) for 675 on a web auction site. Try www.gunbroker.com and www.auctionarms.com, as these are the best.

The auction sites that Branrot mentioned are probably the best. I have two 6" nickel Pythons. One I got from auctionarms.com is from 1975 and is fired, but has the best trigger I've ever felt on a handgun. The other one I just picked up this week came from gunbroker.com. It's from 1980 and is new in the box, but doesn't have anywhere near the glass trigger that the older one does.

Prices seem to be all over the board. Blued models seem to be selling for anywhere from $500 to over $700 depending upon condition. Royal blue models are selling for perhaps $100 to $150 more. Nickel ones are going for $700 to over $1000 for the NIB ones. Oddly enough, the "Python Elites" were selling for up to $1200 for awhile, but now don't seem to be selling at all. :confused:

I'm selling the older one; if you're interested contact me.

Back