Pyrodex Replacement?

GASCHECK

Shooters:

Went to a couple of places, and they didn't have Pyrodex "P". I use it in my Ruger Old Army. 40 grains and a H&G conical. I LIKE it. I like the stink and and the smoke as I feel that's part of the black powder game!

So I may have to switch to something else. I have been advised to try Triple 7. Not supposed to stink! :mad: They seem to be pushing that. Maybe I will go in the other direction to real black powder! Any suggestions?

Yeah, that's right! 40 grains! That way, I don't have to fool around with wads or fillers. It's still a pussycat as far as I'm concerned. Nothing like my Super, which basically is it's brother. Thanks!

Gascheck

I personally would go with pure Black instead of the newer stuff.

40gr. what kind of power are you achieving from that load?
I remember using 40 grains in my third model Dragoon with a .457 ball which was quite impressive.

It seems unlikely that you could get real black powder where you can't get Pyrodex, but if that's possible it would be the way I would go. And I usually shoot 777 most of the time.

Pyrodex Replacement

Raider;

Loads clocked out on an average of 975 fps, 12 shots. Conical weighs 165 grains. CCI Magnum caps. A dab of Crisco over all. I'm cheap!! I don't know if it's just me, but I shoot that gun better than most cartridge handguns I have! :D

All the places had Pyrodex, just no "P".

Gascheck

Pretty good Thump!
348 FT. Lbs.

& yes I have to second your statement, I too shoot either my 1860 Army or my 1851 .44 Navy better tham most anything in my inventory.

Back