pyrodex P ver. pyrodex RS for 50 cal handgun

handgunhunting

Can you use pyrodex P in place of pyrodex RS in a 50 cal muzzle loading handgun I will be getting a custom 14 inch 50 cal black powder contender barrel and have 2 cans of pyrodex P on hand and want to user it up before buying any more powder.
My load is going to be 100 gr. of powder 240-255 gr. 45 cal bullets with 50 cal. sabots and cci 209M primer.

Drop your charge by about 20% when using Pyrodex P instead of RS or when using FFF instead of FF BP. The smaller grains burn faster, yielding higher pressure with less charge weight. Play around with it. If your hammer blows back to half cock, you're a little too hot!

poodleshooter ( my wife loves your name she can't stand poodles) I will be using it is a 14 inch barrel contender i hope the hammer will not blow back to half cocked. So what you are saying is if i use about 80 grs of P it will be close to what 100 grs of RS will be.

i think poodle shooter refers to a minor caliber rifle and not a dog shooter!!!

never the less i would like more info on if anyone has shot pyrodex in a flint lock or not?does it generate enough spark to ignite the charge?

I shot pyrodex in a flintlock but it

needed a booster charge of BP (about a 9mm Luger case full at the bottom, then the 80g or whatever pyrodex, then the patched ball. You still need to use BP in the pan as pyrodex will not ignite from a spark, at least not usually in my experience.

i think poodle shooter refers to a minor caliber rifle and not a dog shooter!!!
Yup. I shoot AR-15's a lot. I like to keep my shooting a well rounded experience :)
Handgunhunting: Yup. It should burn similarly. You should probably try it with 60grains and work up to test for peak accuracy. I would bet that more powerful charges would increase accuracy to a point with sabots. To check relative velocity, you may want to check your trajectory against loads with RS.
Aristophanes: Charges over 1.5x the bore eroding the breech with Pyrodex RS? From corrosion or heat? I find the idea of RS eroding the breechblock in factory recommended charges rather odd. Do you mean with pistols only? I know that this would heartily disappoint the majority of blackpowder hunters who shoot upwards of 100 grains of RS in their .50's (myself included). I'll have to check out those links-thanks!
BigG is absolutely right on Pyrodex use in a flintlock. Hodgdon specifically mentions that it needs a HOT flame (percussion) for proper ignition. Using a finer granulation or duplexing your load should help with that though.

I too use 100 gr. Of RS in my knight lk 93 with 300 gr. Sabots and it shoots better then most center fire rifles I have seen. The barrel maker old me I can use over 150 gr. Of RS and a 300 gr. bullet But I think that will be more then a handful in a handgun and think about the muzzle flash, It would probably cook the deer if I where close to it . Sorry about the mix up poodle I never herd the term used to describe a small cal. Firearm.

Back