Pyrodex and .45 colt loads

caligula

I just dug up a box of .45 Colt loads I made up a couple years ago with Pyrodex P. The fired cases came out with the identical satan-inspired ugliness I got from black powder loads years ago. I inherited a bottle of the stuff years ago and decided to use it up in my Bisley clone. Hate the idea of scrounging up some chromium trioxide just to clean 50 cases.

S o o o o - two things: Why was this stuff even invented and is there a 'modern' way to clean fouling from brass cases?

Love that BP smell and Smoke

S o o o o - two things: Why was this stuff even invented
You are referring to Pyrodex and possibly and other M/L replacement propellant???

Long story short, these were upgrades to BP as well as Pyrodex, as some folks did not like BP and Pyrodex. BP is classified as a Class-A explosive and the others as "combustible" mixture, where shipping and storage is not a big problem. However, folks who dislike working with BP/Pyro still want some of the properties of BP so now you have "Easy-Cleaning" propellant, which is mostly, not true. ...... :(

A friend of mine who is a dedicated reloader, wanted to load some .45 LC. I gave him some BP replacement. About a month later, he returned the powder, and measure and won't quote his comment ..... :)

Be Safe !!!

Last edited:
Why was this stuff even invented and is there a 'modern' way to clean fouling from brass cases?

BP is classified as an explosive. Pyrodex is classified as a propellant. Pyrodex is basically bp made with potassium perchlorate instead of potassium nitrate. It's good stuff. The best way to clean fired cases is as soon as you fire them drop them in a jug of Windex without ammonia. When you take them out of the Windex tumble them. They may not come out sparkly clean but they won't have the black discoloration.

Thanks, Guys! Easy to see that I'm on my way to Diamond for cases. Dixie doesn't offer online access to chromium trioxide anymore and the cost of 50 once-fired cases is the easier to bear of all the options. If I ever whip up a batch of Liebigs to resurrect the poor ugly brass things, I'll post the results. The "explosive" vs "propellant" info. is a neat insight.

Chromium trioxide? Are you sure that's what you're looking for? Chromium (VI) is bad stuff. I think chromium (III) oxide is pretty safe and is used as a polish.

About BP.....black powder is classified as “low” explosive. This means that it ignites and burns (deflagrates) at subsonic speed in contrast to high explosives which produce a supersonic shock wave.
Smokeless powder is also a low explosive (a flammable solid). Unconfined, it burns substantially slower than BP. That changes when smokeless propellant is confined and subject to pressure....then its speed of deflagration increases dramatically. BP is way less affected by pressure.

Last edited:
caligula,

My experience with Pyrodex is possibly older than you are (mid-1980s) and I became convinced back then that it was in fact more corrosive than GOEX black powder. I've neither seen or read anything that would change my mind so in the future, for the sake of your firearms and your brass, avoid the stuff like the plague.

YMMV,
Dave

My experience with Pyrodex is possibly older than you are (mid-1980s) and I became convinced back then that it was in fact more corrosive than GOEX black powder. I've neither seen or read anything that would change my mind so in the future, for the sake of your firearms and your brass, avoid the stuff like the plague.

It's no more corrosive than black. I sometimes let my guns sit for two or three days without cleaning and have gone as many as nine days with no signs of rust or corrosion.

I also found Pyrodex to be more corrosive than real BP. Back in the early 2000's I used APP if I wanted to use a sub. Have used a little Triple 7 since then, but mostly stick with the real stuff. I used to take a quart jar with water and Simple Green to the cowboy shoots and drop my empty brass in there. When I got home I dumped them in the sink with dish soap and water and gave the inside of each case a swab with a 45 caliber brass brush. They don't polish up bright, but don't corrode either.

I have a Pietta NMA that has quickly turned into a rusty mess thanks to Pyrodex. Even after I clean it with a Ballistol and water mix and pure Ballistol, a week later the gun will continue to accumulate rust.

It's the only gun that I will shoot the rest of the Pyrodex I have and once all that Pyrodex is gone it's never getting replaced. I'm a Triple 7 guy now and will be from now on. Easier to clean and more power anyway.

The only good think I can say about Pyrodex is it's cheap and accurate, but not so much more accurate that it makes it more worth using over Triple 7.

Back