Pyrodex 38 special loads.

Gulfcowboy

I've been reloading 38 special lately, and the thought crossed my mind to load up some black powder 38 special loads. I know that 38 special was originally a black powder round. I have some pyrodex the fffg equivalent, and some 157 grain TC Outlaw Bullets. Does anyone know a good recipe for this? Thanks for any info given.

You can do more than light compression. In fact more compression with Pyrodex is better, at least in cap and ball revolvers.

Should be no different in a cartridge.

Just reporting manufacturer's instructions.
I have compressed black powder a lot but did not want to advise a novice on a fake.

Plenty smokey. Try it and see :) . When I first started black powder shooting in cap/ball I used Pyrodex. I currently use Triple-7 and Black mz. I haven't tried Black mz in a revolver yet. One reason I like 777 because I can use my regular powder measure for it unlike regular Black Powder and other substitutes.

The big thing is to leave no airspace under the bullet or ball. That is why you want at least a little compression, so the powder doesn't 'settle' and leave a gap.

Back