Putting a mag extention on an 870 HD?

I got a mag extention for my Rem. 870 HD, but I am having trouble. There are two metal burrs on the end of the inside of the Tube mag, and because of them, I can't get the extended mag to work properly. How can I bypass this or deal with it?

------------------
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.
-Thomas Jefferson

Cameron,
On the 870 HD there is one indention that must be drilled out for the mag extension to work. The mag spring (extended version) needs to have a clear path way throughout the whole mag tube to work. The 870 express model doesn't have this indention and can readily take the mag extension.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sea Bass:
Cameron,
On the 870 HD there is one indention that must be drilled out for the mag extension to work. The mag spring (extended version) needs to have a clear path way throughout the whole mag tube to work. The 870 express model doesn't have this indention and can readily take the mag extension.
[/quote]

Well, I thought I bought the HD, but it doesn't say that anywhere on the gun. Rather it
says 870 EXPRESS MAGNUM.

Either way, there are two indentations on the inside of the tube mag. They prevent the
little platic endpiece that puts pressure on the shells in the mag from going any father
back. In the 4 shot mag, this is fine, but in the 6 shot mag, it causes a problem.

Also, what exactly is a high-visibility follower? I got it when I bought the mag extention,
but I don't know what to do with it.

The high viz follower replaces that little plastic thing that pushes the shells. Mine have the old style steel followers,and I recommend them w/o reservation.

Between that mag problem and the other thread on key lock safeties, it looks to me li8ke Remington is also running scared. Darn shame...

Also, re big safeties, the bigger they are, the easier they are to get knocked either off or on at the wrong time. If a ham handed klutz like me can work a standard safety w/o wreaking harm, you can too...

I have both an 870 express magnum and a HD. What I did to make it work, I bought a choate 7 shot parkerized extension, I used a dremmel tool and and ground out from the inside the dimples. I then sanded it with some fine sanpaper and i have had no malfunctions in a couple 100rds. I am going to figure a way to make it water proof again, I was thinking bondo, but it will do for right now. By the way, the dimples have been on the mag tubes for years now, it's not a recent pc addition.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by t2:
I used a dremmel tool and and ground out from the inside the dimples. I then sanded it with some fine sanpaper and i have had no malfunctions in a couple 100rds. I am going to figure a way to make it water proof again, I was thinking bondo, but it will do for right now. [/quote]

T2
Why use bondo on it to make it water proof, think of it this way Remington did us a favor, because those little holes in the tube can also be considered drainage holes to help keep water out of the tube.

6mm

I want to thank everyone who responded for their feedback on this issue. I found a friend who helped me take the dimples out and now have an "High Cap" Shotgun. :)

------------------
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.
-Thomas Jefferson

Back