Putting a Compact Scope on a Ruger #1

Nathan

I want to put this scope. . . .
Scope Specs
thumbnail_generator.php

On this rifle. . . .
11387.jpg

What rings do I need?

I read that med height is best for reloading and sight clearance. In addition, I see several where the person has used double offset rings to get the position right.

Any experience here?

double offset:
P1070467.jpg

Last edited:
It's going to depend on where you need it to be for proper eye relief, and whether or not that's going to let the rings fit where they need to be on the scope.

The easiest way to figure it out is take it to a shop and try some rings to see what it will take to get it the way you want it

I suspect you will need at least one off-set on the front

It is tough to give a one size fits all answer for scope mounts. Like others said, it is a good idea to play around with your other rifles that have scopes or just see where you like the scope and see what kind of mount height you like best. I know for my guns I prefer a medium height scope mount, and for some, a high profile mount is what I like, but it's all personal preference. Maybe ask some other people you know who own a Ruger No. 1 with a scope and see what they say.

John

I have put several Leupold 2-7x33 scopes on Ruger 1As with standard Ruger rings without a problem. I've looked at some offset rings, but to me they tend to mess up the classic lines of that rifle. It looks like your scope is in the same class as those Leupolds, but maybe a little smaller.

A lot depends on the cartridge as well. For smaller stuff, it's no big deal to crawl up on the stock a little bit to get a good sight picture. If your 1A is a .30-06 or something of that sort you might think otherwise.

SR

Might not be a huge deal for some people but "creeping" up the stock for a good sight picture always throws me off my game a little. I like to open my eyes and be all set, ready to go. Im more accurate when totally focused and comfortable. I have a savage axis 243 truck/farm rifle that i have to creep with and its a little annoying.

Depends on the shooter and the scope. Some scopes have better or worse eye relief, also everyone shoulders a rifle differently. I creep up a little on mine naturally, I also hold with a can't when shooting standing. I would order the scope if you don't already have it, and then try the Ruger rings, if they don't work, head to the store for some extension rings.

I love Vortex scopes, but the 4 I have are a Razor Gen II 1-6x, a Razor HD 5-20x, and two Vortex Viper PST 6-24x so the scope you are looking at I don't know how the eye relief is. The eye relief on my scopes is pretty good, except the 20x and 24x's are a little tougher, but they are all on long range guns, so I set the relief for those power settings.

On a game rifle, it is sometimes tough to say. You need to factor in where most of your shots are going to be... is it the side of a 200-300 yard field, where you will be on the highest setting, or are you in the pines where you'll generally be shooting 25-75 yards and might only need 4x or 5x. Adjust your eye relief to account for what setting you want to be on the most.

Per the specs eye relief is 4.6". Hopefully that keeps the 45-70 off my eyebrow!

Rifle was bought used...no rings.

Last edited:
Sniper why is because of speed of follow up shot !! I can place a 308 at 650 yards move my head 3 inches see wear I need to adjust my scope especially in prone I have a bad back and ti get up an down fir hours kills my enjoyment

Flasehole I used a weaver mounted camera brake and on my elite it fit just under and grabbed the 20 MOA rail perfectly I used the normal mounting hardware for a camera

Back