Purchasing via the internet

Glocks&Sigs

I am considering purchasing a pistol from an individual I met over the internet. Any suggestions on how to make sure I do not get screwed? Any help would be greatly appreciated?

------------------
Give me liberty or give me death !!

Stay alive, shoot a .45 !!

Greetings Glocks&Sig's; Best advice, deal
with ONLY reputable person's; be it dealer
or individual. Require at least a 3 day
inspection period; with a FULL REFUND if
you are not completely satisfied with the
purchase. Handle ALL transactions through
a FFL dealer; that way you have a paper
trail for YOUR protection. I have made one
purchase of a handgun via the internet and
I was completely satisfied. The gun was
listed as 98% NRA excellent; when it was
received, it graded slightly better than
that!!!

Best Wishes,

------------------
Ala Dan

I've never had a problem with private sales over the net. I've bought two guns this way, and was 100% satisfied both times. Best thing to do is ask for references and pay in certified funds (postal money orders work best).

------------------
"The evils of tyranny are rarely seen but by him who resists it."
-- John Hay, 1872

I am currently in the process of negotiating with a potential buyer of a handgun I am selling. Actually he has committed to buy it, but the terms of the deal are not finalized. The buyer wants the funds to be sent directly to the FFL and a three day refund if he not satisfied. I don't have a problem with this, but I will initially have to pay shipping and transfer on my end to send it to the buyer. This will cost about $50 and I may have to pay an additional $20 if the buyer does not want it. This is an unlikely scenario. Does anyone have any suggestions for a refund. Thanks for any advice.

If the buyer wants a refund, then IMHO he should be the one who pays for return shipping.

Also, I suggest using certified mail to send funds. It's a way to avoid the "Where's the money?/I sent it already!" problem.

I've bought two pistols over the net, one from an individual and one from a dealer. Both went very well and I was totally satisfied.
Ala Dan has some good guidlines to use.
Good luck.
Dave

Most of the ffl dealers I spoke to said that
it's not worth the trouble. It's the 5 percents of the trouble makers are causing
the 95 percents of the problems, and I would
not want to be the unlucky one. There are
too many things can go wrong. I would just
deal with the reputable dealers and/or distributors to be safe. The deal seems like too good to be true, and it is.

i've had several handguns i recently bought through the internet go extrememly well. most have been through a dealer with an FFL but one has been through an individual where we used our own FFLs on both sides. i live in Canada and to find some of the guns i want for my 10mm collection, i need to buy them in the USA. so far so good, but do use an FFL as i feel this will minimize problems. the extra $$$ u lay down for their time is well worth the peace of mind. oh, and be sure to get a phone number so u can keep in regular contact with the buyer or seller...i used email for my Delta Elite enhanced SS and only used email...that was a bit frustrating.

------------------
Mik

<A HREF="http://"http://marina.fortunecity.com/harbour/347/10mm.html"" TARGET=_blank>my 10mm page</A>

Thanks for all your replies. They have been very helpful!!

------------------
Give me liberty or give me death !!

Stay alive, shoot a .45 !!

To stay legal, you need to hold FFL (unless you're in the same state, I think). To cover your butt from a scammer, there is no adequate way to ensure not getting screwed that I can think of, short of either:

1. Getting the gun first, or
2. Paying by regular check, NOT certified funds, contrary to above advice. Then get an oral/written promise/assurance from the seller that the gun is sent the same day as you send the check. Then, if you don't receive the gun within 3-5 days, stop payment on the check. If you do receive the gun, but it's a lemon, stop payment on the check, then send it back when the seller sends you shipping costs plus $20 for the stop payment.

Back