Purchasing First Gun

Lovetoshoot

Inactive
I've been reading up on and shooting different guns for several weeks now. I've narrowed my choices down to the following:

HK Mark 23 .45 ACP
Sig Sauer P226 9mm
Beretta Cougar 8040 .40 S&W

I've shot probably 100+ rounds with each gun. This has made things even harder. I can't decide which. The 3 guns are very different from each other, but I like each equally. Can any current/past owners enlighten me?

Thanks
Lovetoshoot

If you are looking for a real good shooter and you are willing to spend the $1700 street price of a Mark 23, why not get the best. Buy a Sig P210. They are the absolute better stooter in the market today and can be had for $1500 street.

Robert

I guess the answer lies in a few questions as all 3 are fairly different options...On that list my favorite range gun as a first gun would be the Sig P226, real smooth and accurate, cheap to shoot...can't go wrong. For more of a self-defense gun I like the Beretta, real smooth as well packs more punch at .40 and will last you a lifetime. The .45 I'm not familiar with so I'll just say wait to buy the .45 when you get teh itch to get your second gun :)
Tim

I can attest to the 8040. Picked one up used at a gun show under $400. The gun was in perfect like new condition. It fits my hand well and is a good shooter. It is SA/DA and has the decocker. I really like and use as a ccw plus home protection. I also bought the 8045. I believe they are good weapons and you will like if purchased. Cannot speak for the others

Happy Holidays and Happy Shooting

------------------
Help Stamp Out Gun Ignorance.

LTS:

If the price tag on the Mark23 isn't too high for you, then I would definitely buy it. The Sig P210 is well-regarded as the most accurate handgun produced, but I like the .45 more than I do the 9mm and owning virtually the same handgun that the US Special Forces carry; well for me, that ends the question of which one to buy. After all that testing, etc., if it's good enough for them, it certainly is good enough for me.

You might also want to check out the HK USP 40 Expert that will be available soon. I have a USP 40 and even though I grew up shooting nothing but .45's, the .40 S&W is the caliber for me. Plus, the 16 rd. mags that will be available with the Expert 40 are something to look forward to.

Good luck, and Merry Christmas!

John Coleman

Sig 226 is a very well made and accurate firearm. I've shot it and find it to be accurate and reliable.

The Beretta 8040 solid firearm. .40 is a very good round and the gun is fairly accurate. I own one and it is a delight.

I have never tried the H&K so I can't tell you about it.

I know a lot may disagree but I'd go with the 8040.

Thank you all for your replies. I intend on purchasing both the Sig P226 and the Mark 23 soon after. Everyone have a safe and Merry XMAS!

Back