Purchasing Firearms in Another State

Karanas

I've often been confused by the legality of purchasing a firearm in another state. I often see ads for huge gun shows in neighboring states in Shotgun Times and consider the drive, but I'm under the impression that I wouldn't be able to buy any guns if I went.
Then it occurs to me that with NICS, my background info is going to be checked by the same federal agency regardless of where I make a purchase. So what difference does it make where the phone call comes from?
I realize that some states may have regulations against selling firearms to non-residents, but barring that kind of restriction, is there anything that would prevent me from going to a gun show or dealer across a state line and buying a gun?

Per federal law:

You can buy a handgun from a licensed dealer in your state, and in states which are directly adjacent.

You can buy a rifle or shotgun from a licensed dealer in any state.

Some states' laws may restrict the above; I don't know.

I have read, but do not specifically know as fact, that you cannot buy a handgun from an individual from another state without going through a dealer.

Check the NRA site for confirmation.

Regards, Art

This might be a dealer misunderstanding, but when I went to a gun show in Utah (I live 35 mi away in Nevada), I was told it had to be shipped to an FFL dealer in Nevada. I always
wondered why, if it's a NATIONAL database, and I'm not on it, why I can't buy a handgun in ANY state?

------------------
If you can't fight City Hall, at least defecate on the steps.

Simply put ... because that's the law.

Don't expect it to be logical, after all it was made in Washington D.C.

Oh, and it only applies to handguns ... apparently long guns aren't as evil.

[This message has been edited by TR (edited August 19, 1999).]

Back