Purchase delayed

crshooter

Inactive
I have purchased 4 handguns and an AR lower in the last year without issue. I also have a valid carry permit and put down my SSN. Absolutely nothing about my status has changed. Last night I went to buy a new P938 at Cabelas and was delayed by the NICS.
Why would that happen?
Do delays ever get cleared up on Sundays?
Thanks for any insight

Last edited:
That sucks ... I’ve been waiting for that to happen to me. Only time anything negative happened is when NICS was down for a day. Good luck ... hopefully nothing new on the record books.

I suspect it has more to do with the volume of requests over the Black Friday weekend than any major problem. Each of the last 3 Black Fridays broke records on the number of NICS requests. I wouldn’t be surprised if this year is even more.

Just curious what state you are in? In Georgia if you have a permit a NICS check is not required. Does your State still require the check or is this a Cabelas thing?

I'm in Minnesota. last gun I bought from a smaller shop gave me the gun after seeing the permit. I think bigger stores run the check as a rule.

I'm a CCP permit holder in Florida. Other than private sales every gun I've recieved thru an FFL has had a NICS check before the weapon is given to me.

I've had to wait a few days too . . .

I buy a new gun 3-4 times a year. Twice I've been delayed, but not at any special "buying" rush like black Friday. Both times my 3 day wait (I live in IL) was turned into a 5-7 day wait. I suspect it's a matter of overload. Too many people buying all at the same time.

Life is good.
Prof Young

I'm a CCP permit holder in Florida. Other than private sales every gun I've recieved thru an FFL has had a NICS check before the weapon is given to me.

Florida uses their own check system, which is why there is a $5 charge for the phone call

Florida uses their own check system
Florida uses NICS for the background check. States that have LE issuing CCW permits can make the request to the BATFE to wave the background checks. Florida's Dept of Agriculture issues the CCWP

Back